• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Star Trek - Into Darkness (extra footage Japanese trailer)

Reaver

Staff
It's true Abrams can go any direction he wants. But now that the direction is chosen there is nothing wrong with speculation based on what we see.

Agreed. I like the reboot because I like to pretend that every movie except the Wrath of Khan even happened.

Reaver

Staff
Yeah. Hate to say it, but in my opinion "The Motion Picture" was too boring (its only redeeming quality is Persis Khambatta) and everything after the Wrath of Khan gets progressively worse. By the time they got to Nemesis it's like they weren't even trying anymore.

So yeah, I'm happy with the reboot and the whole alternate timeline idea. I f**king loved that they wiped out Vulcan in the beginning of the movie. What a way to kick things off!

Last edited:

Sparkie

Auror
I did sort of like The Undiscovered Country, just because of what they tried to do with the whole cold war allegory-thing. Klingons were the Soviets, right?

JCFarnham

Auror
Klingons have been a stand in for "the enemy" since the beginning. To me they were even communist China for a while.. before they got their forehead ridges.

Reaver

Staff
I did sort of like The Undiscovered Country, just because of what they tried to do with the whole cold war allegory-thing. Klingons were the Soviets, right?

If Klingons were the Soviets then why would Pavel Chekov be part of the Enterprise crew? I really didn't see the Cold War allegory because the film was released in December 1991: the Berlin Wall had fallen two years earlier, Glasnost was in full swing, the Soviet Union was crumbling and for all intents and purposes, the Cold War was over.

Mindfire

Istar
If Klingons were the Soviets then why would Pavel Chekov be part of the Enterprise crew? I really didn't see the Cold War allegory because the film was released in December 1991: the Berlin Wall had fallen two years earlier, Glasnost was in full swing, the Soviet Union was crumbling and for all intents and purposes, the Cold War was over.

I think that's exactly why the Klingons are the Soviets in this instance. Granted, I only know about this movie from the wiki article, but my understanding is that ST6 is about the collapse of the USSR, with the part of the USSR being played by Klingons. Apparently, the script was written on suggestion from Leonard Nimoy based on the idea: "What if the wall came down in space?"

Reaver

Staff
That's all fine and good, making comparisons to the collapse of the USSR and all, but it doesn't change the fact that it was a crap movie and basically the proverbial "nail in the coffin" for movies featuring the original cast.

Mindfire

Istar
That's all fine and good, making comparisons to the collapse of the USSR and all, but it doesn't change the fact that it was a crap movie and basically the proverbial "nail in the coffin" for movies featuring the original cast.

I thought the even-numbered movies were supposed to be the good ones?

MFreako

Troubadour
Anybody else really excited about Benedict Cumberbatch playing the villain? I mean, the guy's one of the best actors I've seen for a while now. Watch BBC's Sherlock if you're not familiar with him, you'll love it.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
SHERLOCK is pretty cool. What's up with three episodes a season?

They're more like movies than episodes, kinda -- I think they're each about an hour and a half long. Still, I do wish there were more of them. They're probably not going to be able to start filming the third season for YEARS, what with Benedict being so busy with The Hobbit and Star Trek. *flails*

Reaver

Staff
I'm betting on khan. Although The Wrath of Khan is the penultimate Star Trek movie, the whole franchise is being rebooted, so why not? It is a great story after all.

Man I'm tired of being right.

Last edited by a moderator: