1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

What are you Reading Now?

Discussion in 'Novels & Stories' started by Mythopoet, Dec 12, 2013.

1. ^I'll check it out and let you know what I think. :)

Tom likes this.
  2. Mythopoet

Mythopoet Auror

I'm a Catholic and even though the content would technically be considered extremely blasphemous, I also loved it. ;)

3. gia

gia Scribe

My latest is "An Unkindness of Magicians" by Kat Howard. I loved it. She has an interesting interview here

4. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

Finished Diaspora, by Greg Egan. Short review: holy [email protected]#%!. If you like hard science fiction you’ve got to try this one.

5. Mythopoet

Mythopoet Auror

I've been reading a lot of manga lately. I reread and purchased all the volumes of From Far Away by Kyoko Hikawa. It's an epic fantasy with romance about a Japanese school girl transported to a fantasy world as part of a prophecy. And I know that sounds super cliche but omg it's just so good. There's a really great cast of characters, the main couple is too precious for words. I want to pull them out of the pages and adopt them and protect them forever. Even though the main male character is literally an all-powerful being of destruction. lol

I also read all of the romantic comedy/drama Fruits Basket by Natsuki Takaya. Every one always talks about how good this one is, but I wasn't hooked on the premise and the apparent love triangle. The premise is that the Soma family is cursed so that 12 of them at any given time become possessed by an animal from the chinese zodiac and if they are touched by a member of the opposite sex they will transform into that animal. A random school girl accidentally finds out about their curse and shenanigans ensue. But once you get past the more introductory content into the real meat of the story, it's surprisingly good family drama. Because the author doesn't just go "isn't this curse hilarious? Look, he's a little rat!" No, she digs into how the curse has effected each character and his or her relationship with friends and family. It's an incredible story.

And I've started on the highly regarded shojo historical fantasy romance Red River by Chie Shinohara, about a girl transported into the ~1500 BC Hittite empire as part of an evil queen's spell. So far, it's ok, but definitely not (IMO) as good as other similar portal fantasies like the above mentioned From Far Away or Inuyasha. But then I've got many volumes to go so it might get better.

I've also been reading The Celtic Twilight by W.B. Yeats and it is fantastic. Just such a fascinating look into the rich culture of rural Ireland at the time.

6. ^I read Fruits Basket and liked it well enough. My bias about the romance came from my dislike of tsundere characters and the fact that prefer characters who are genuinely kind and nice from the 'get-go'.

7. Thomas Laszlo

Thomas Laszlo Sage

I’m currently Reading “The Iliad” by Homer. I read The Odyssey last year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gurkhal likes this.
  8. Mythopoet

Mythopoet Auror

Yeah, I disliked Kyo in the beginning because he was so aggressively tsundere. But as his development progressed I found myself sympathizing with him. And toward the end he was no longer acting like a tsundere at all. Kyo will never be my favorite character, but there are so many other wonderful characters that it doesn't matter. Actually, I think my favorite is Ayame. He's so over-the-top and hilarious. I love the way he speaks.

9. I like Yuki best, for obvious reasons.

I just finished reading Carpe Jugulum, one of the Discworld books.

10. Gurkhal

Gurkhal Archmage

Excellent choices.

Thomas Laszlo likes this.
  11. Thomas Laszlo

Thomas Laszlo Sage

I thoroughly enjoyed the Odyssey despite it being a slow read. (I cannot for the life of me finish books for English class) The Iliad is providing a much more intense read but I chose it so it’s much easier to finish for me

12. halfdan

halfdan Scribe

Started mit a song of fire and ice. Pretty amazed so far.

Gurkhal likes this.
  13. Gurkhal

Gurkhal Archmage

Another excellent choice of litterature.

14. I read the opening of Good Omens on Amazon.

15. Honestly I loathed the Iliad. The Odyssey wasn't bad though. (I had to read them both in 8th grade.)

16. Thomas Laszlo

Thomas Laszlo Sage

Yeah I really enjoyed the Odyssey. Reading the Iliad is a lot harder

17. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

Egan’s Diaspora was so good I got another one: Incandescence. So far, so good.

18. Gurkhal

Gurkhal Archmage

Really? While the cast is male-heavy to say the least I must confess to be suprised that you would loath it. Would you mind if I asked what it was that made you feel this way about it?

I took a break about half-way through the Illiad. But I am looking forward to finish Montaillou and then get back into the Iliad and finish it before I move on to the Odyssey, after some intermediate reading.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  19. pmmg

pmmg Auror

I've read a few 'How to improve your writing' type books over the years. I don't know that one specifically, but in general, I find that the thinner and more to the point they are the better. There are a few by Noah Lukeman that I thought worthy of reading. There are a few by many others, I found not. Writers Digest had a series out, from which the few I had picked up seemed to have good content. One I see that is still in my keep pile is 'How to Write a Romance', which as I pull off the shelf and blow the dust off of it, is about 120 pages.

Oh and currently I am reading the The Eye of the World from the Wheel of Time series. This is my third attempt at it. I started and stopped twice already. I am determined to get through it, but so far (about 2/3rds done) it has not really grabbed me. Sorry Mr. Jordan :~(

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    Gurkhal and Thomas Laszlo like this.
  20. Thomas Laszlo

Thomas Laszlo Sage

Sweet, I’m about a third of the way through The Iliad, the Odyssey was for a school assignment so I paced it slower anyways but I am reading Ulysses second semester so I kind of need to finish The Iliad soon

Gurkhal likes this.