• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What are you Reading Now?

Finally finished Throne of Jade by Naomi Novik. It speaks to my passionate love of dragons and of alternate history that i didn't get hopelessly bogged down in the insufferable slowness and dullness of the book. It was good, what can I say?

Mythopoet

Auror
On the non-fiction front I have started reading the second volume of John Romer's History of Ancient Egypt. So far it has been quite interesting, its is good to actually know something about Egypt beyond the limited slice that is Pyramids and mummies. Fiction wise I have Vladimir Nabokov's Pale Fire. Going into it I had very little idea to what it was about (bar what was shown in the new Blade Runner...) but the meta story of the poems commentator is intriguing.

Ooh! A history book that is actually affordable! Get in my kindle!

Mythopoet

Auror
I recently read two L. M. Montgomery books I hadn't read before. Kilmeny of the Orchard and The Blue Castle. Kilmeny was a decent read, but The Blue Castle was fantastic. Right up there with the Anne books, but written more for adults. I highly recommend if you like the Anne novels at all.

I reread Thud! by Terry Pratchett because when I'm sick I always reread Discworld novels. I'm still sick so now I'm rereading The Fifth Elephant. I haven't reread any of the Vimes books in a while and man I just love him.

Also slowly working my way through a reread of Lovecraft. Finished The Dream-Quest of Unkown Kadath which was even better the second time around. I just love the Dream World. Then reread The Case of Charles Dexter Ward. It's easily my least favorite of his novellas. It's just so slow and plodding. For some reason I forced myself to finish it again anyway. Maybe because I hate myself.

Yrgim Ironbeard

I am currently reading "Ghost Wolf of Thunder Mountain" by Will Henry. It is a historical fiction, a western specifically.
Although, I did just finish "Grace of Kings" by Ken Liu, which is much more fantasy, and set in what I imagined a more Far Eastern culture. It seemed to have a lot of things I didn't understand, which I assumed was from historical cultural norms I didn't understand.

Chessie2

Staff
Article Team
I just started Mail-Order Bride Carries A Gun. The plot sounds intriguing and it opened with a bang. I have high hopes too, since the author's voice isn't boring and bland like many of the western romances out there these days.

There are two ways to take that open with a bang statement. One is shooting and the other is the reason most people get mail order spouses. Can’t decide which. Gonna assume both.

Chessie2

Staff
Article Team
There are two ways to take that open with a bang statement. One is shooting and the other is the reason most people get mail order spouses. Can’t decide which. Gonna assume both.
It opened up with a bang (not a literal one) meaning it wasn't a boring introduction to the character. A lot of mail-order bride stories these days are freaking boring. This main character has a goal from the beginning and she isn't some proper Mary Sue like all the others. She's on a mission to kill someone. Lol.

It opened up with a bang (not a literal one) meaning it wasn't a boring introduction to the character. A lot of mail-order bride stories these days are freaking boring. This main character has a goal from the beginning and she isn't some proper Mary Sue like all the others. She's on a mission to kill someone. Lol.
See now I am disappointed that it wasn't a bang wherein the MC killed someone with a gun while also seducing them.

Dark Squiggle

Troubadour
I'm reading 93 by Victor Hugo. So far its better than The Hunchback of Notre Dame, not sure if its as good as Les Miserables. Some really epic scenes, which are incredible, some seriously over the top characters, but not quite as tightly held together as Les Miserables.

I just finished rereading The Vintner's Luck by Elizabeth Knox. I say rereading, but my other reading was when I was about 16 and I didn't remember much of the story at all. All I really remembered was a guy and a (male) angel having sex. I loved it then, since I was desperate for anything that broke out of what I felt was the oppressively conservative environment that I lived in at the time. I was sure if the book would hold up upon rereading it as an adult, but I actually really liked it. It's one of those books that makes you say, "Ahh, life" when you put it down at the end.

I have recently gotten out from under delinquent status at my local public library (my card expired while I had a bunch of books out, so I couldn't renew them and had to pay fines!), so I've got a little stack of library books waiting for me following this one. Next up: White Tears by Hari Kunzru. In additional to the library books I also have a bunch of Tolkien books that my husband gifted me :D

LWFlouisa

Troubadour
I'm actually beginning to read the Bourne Identity series, and other Robert Ludlum novels. Then I'm considering some of Zackaria Sitchen's books.

Then I might get back to Mistborn, and finish that series.