• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What are you Reading Now?

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
That's why it is worth taking the time to compile a reading list. There are numerous lists on the net; you could start with "great books" sort of things, or narrow it to fifty great works of fantasy, or whatever. Make the list.

Then go forward with recommendations from friends, used bookstore finds, Amazon browsing, whatever. Every once in a while, you will hit a dry patch. That's what your list is for.

I strongly recommend making a great books list. Over the past decade or so, I have encountered works that I would never have read otherwise. Some have been meh, a couple have been stinky, but a handful have been rare gems that I still recall with delight. I'm reading one such right now. Think of it as having a list of restaurants or foods you might want to try one day. Most days sure: pizza and beer. Every once in a while, though, you go somewhere new and discover that Ethiopian food is amazing, or that greasy spoon joint makes the best scones ever. Without the list, you just keep driving.

I have a massive list on Goodreads, but nothing on my shelf appeals to me presently. Shall I raid my brother's shelf? If that doesn't work i might have to go to the library...

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I have a massive list on Goodreads, but nothing on my shelf appeals to me presently. Shall I raid my brother's shelf? If that doesn't work i might have to go to the library...

Maybe switch genres? Sometimes I look at all the SF/F I have and nothing strikes a chord. I end up going with a classic, or a thriller, horror, or whatever, and it really hits the right spot for me.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Yeah. Sometimes you're hungry but nothing appeals. It will pass. I'm with Steerpike: read something else. Read a classic even if it doesn't appeal. You may be surprised.

Or you could go for a nice walk. :)

Maybe switch genres? Sometimes I look at all the SF/F I have and nothing strikes a chord. I end up going with a classic, or a thriller, horror, or whatever, and it really hits the right spot for me.

Right now Im looking for something fun and fluffy, since my last two reads were rather disturbing, each in their own way. Unfortunately, what I haven't read on my shelves is mostly weighty classics, or otherwise books I can't muster interest in.

Russ

Istar
Right now Im looking for something fun and fluffy, since my last two reads were rather disturbing, each in their own way. Unfortunately, what I haven't read on my shelves is mostly weighty classics, or otherwise books I can't muster interest in.

So if are looking for something light and fluffy, but still in the fantasy realm, let me recommend Kings of the Wyld to you.

Kings Of The Wyld

So this is a debut Canadian author who I met when he was speaking on a panel with my wife. Nice guy.

His book is light and fun. The conceit is that in a fantasy world bands of adventurers will become famous the way rock bands do in the modern world.

In this book one of the retired band members family members is in deadly danger and he must "put the band back together" to save her. Yup, it is like the Blues Brothers meets the Lord of the Rings.

He skillfully (and humorously) incorporates tropes and stereotypes from role playing games and the world of rock and roll with a group of characters who are eccentric, charming and endearing. I have not finished it yet, but so far the book is a lot of fun. You might just want to give it a shot.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Currently reading Angle of Repose by Wallace Stegner. The writing there is brilliant and the characters are fascinating even though if you described them to me, or described the plot, I'd probably say it's not for me. Color me impressed.

That book is sitting in my to read stack in my room, actually.

Mythopoet

Auror
I finished reading Uprooted and it was really good. Despite a couple sex scenes which are always just squicky to me. I wish there was some kind of warning on books for that. I mean, for books that only have a small amount of sex and thus there is no mention of it anywhere in any description. Some people don't want to have to read about fictional character's private parts grinding together. I find it very unpleasant. But the rest of the book was good enough that I would recommend it with warnings.