What are you Reading Now?

Discussion in 'Novels & Stories' started by Mythopoet, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Mythopoet

Mythopoet Dark Lord

No I haven't. I'm both tempted a leery. Gratuitous torture of the main character was why I had to stop reading the Dresden Files. Still I'll put it on the list.

2. Michael K. Eidson

Michael K. Eidson Shadow Lord

Sounds like a book I need to read. I love a well-done pantheon story. The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms is one of my favorites.

3. Heliotrope

Heliotrope Staff Article Team

4. Antonius

Antonius Apprentice

Recently caught up to the latest chapter for Peerless Martial God by Jing Hu Wen.

5. Chessie2

Chessie2 Grandmaster

My husband gave me a book about the apocalypse: Are We Living In The End Times? Actually, it's not really. It's about Bible prophecy in the last days and it's addicting. So much good stuff. Lol he knows me well. :D

6. Mythopoet

Mythopoet Dark Lord

I finished Deerskin last night. It was really excellent.

Steerpike and Nimue like this.
  7. Nimue

Nimue Dark Lord

I’m reading Ursula LeGuin’s Earthsea books, and...wow. Such deep fantastic writing. I believe I tried to read the Earthsea books when I was a kid, but found them too dour. (I also think I started with one in the middle). Now that I have the patience to bide with them, I’m finding so much joy in them as well.

gia, Svrtnsse and Chessie2 like this.
  8. Mythopoet

Mythopoet Dark Lord

I started reading The Fifth Season by N. K. Jemison since I was able to get it on sale recently. It was unexpectedly blown away by the beginning. I've read her The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms and thought it only ok. But so far I'm really impressed and fascinated by The Fifth Season.

9. Chessie2

Chessie2 Grandmaster

Went to my local library and scored a few Georgette Heyer novels (2 mystery, the other romance). Um...I had no idea she also wrote mysteries! Word!

Steerpike and gia like this.
  10. pmmg

pmmg Scribal Lord

At present I happen to be reading the Iliad and the Odyssey, they kind of go together. I had not remembered the level of detail these went into. They are quite specific about who killed who in battle, and how the fatal blow was struck. It does seem to quite specific for something that may have just been myth. I am not surprised that some took it more literally and went looking for the actual Troy.

11. TheCrystallineEntity

TheCrystallineEntity Dark Lord

The Thursday Next series. Unfortunately, the eight book, Dark Reading Matter, might be a long time in coming.

12. Mythopoet

Mythopoet Dark Lord

Finished reading the Broken Earth trilogy by N. K. Jemisin. I actually powered through most of The Fifth Season and all of The Obelisk Gate over a weekend and then it took me a good week to get through The Stone Sky. Mostly because I got really busy but also because the final book dragged a bit toward the beginning. Despite this and some elements I found personally distasteful, this was a really incredible trilogy. Truly immense in scope as very few fantasy books are. I loved it mostly for the worldbuilding and backstory and central confllict. Didn't really find any of the characters, save one, relatable or likeable. But their stories were still interesting. Even fascinating. And the writing was excellent. Recommended, but beware of some sexual crudeness.

13. DragonOfTheAerie

DragonOfTheAerie Istari

Not too long ago I read We Are the Ants by Shaun David Hutchinson. I've been burned so many times by YA, and i normally don't read contemporary, but this was *so* good. Rated 5 stars on Goodreads.

14. Mythopoet

Mythopoet Dark Lord

I've begun reading A Darker Shade of Magic by V. E. Schwab. It's interesting, but not exactly a page turner.

15. TheCrystallineEntity

TheCrystallineEntity Dark Lord

I've got a bunch of new Discworld books lined up, but I'm being very patient to make them last at least a month.

16. Gurkhal

Gurkhal Scribal Lord

I've got almost everything historical fiction written by Mary Renault on its way to me. Thus expanding from The Last of the Wine to new visions of ancient Greece. :D

17. skip.knox

skip.knox Staff Moderator

Just finished Jack Campbell's Dragons of Dorcastle. The fellow knows how to serve up an adventure tale. It's a bit by-the-numbers, but solid writing and clever ideas carried the day for me. Definitely a cut above other fantasy I've read lately.

18. Mythopoet

Mythopoet Dark Lord

I'm going to have to look for these. I love ancient Greece.

I finished reading A Darker Shade of Magic in one day. Quite good. I'll definitely read the sequels at some point.

Then I read The Watchmaker's Daughter by C. J. Archer. Decent mystery adventure story with a strong dash of romance.

Also finished reading Tales of Three Hemispheres by Lord Dunsany. I really enjoyed the two sequel stories to Idle Days on the Yann, which was one of my favorites from A Dreamer's Tales.

Now I'm reading Hadon of Ancient Opar by Philip Jose Farmer which takes place in Africa 10,000 BC. Very interesting so far.

Gurkhal and Steerpike like this.
  19. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

I've listened to the whole series, and the second, on audio during my long drives. Lots of fun, and I like the characters. Yeah, it's a bit by the numbers, but Campbell knows how to tell a good story (if you haven't read his Lost Fleet books--also good and less by the numbers).

20. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

Been reading the Gray Man series, by Mark Greaney. Four books in, and so far they're a hell of a lot of fun. Think Jason Bourne-style thrillers. Realism isn't always at the top of the author's list, but entertainment is.