• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What are you Reading Now?

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
An owner's manual for a non existent and physically impossible spaceship?
Exactly. I didn't know that the Corellian YT series Freighters were modular. So that is why no two ships look exactly alike but share a lot of common components. A neat bit of Handwavium that lets the people doing the CGI to be creative.

Gurkhal

Auror
Interesting. All I know about Cossaks is family folklore about people who were nearly monsters, in the orc/goblin sense.

Is that a grey book, ~500 pgs and heavy? I DNF'd it, not because I didn't like it, but because I was distracted.

I'll start with assuming that your relatives have in the past been victimized by Cossack soldiers for which would like to extend my condolences. But personally I don't believe in monsters even while I do believe in humans. Still while the Cossacks are far, far from glamerous heroes they have a very fascinating history that can be worth looking into for those interested in adventure or rebellion stories.

The great (as in large) book about Russia I'm reading is not grey, more like red with a picture of the Kremlin on the front, but its a bit over 500 pages and is indeed pretty heavy.

Dark Squiggle

Troubadour
I'll start with assuming that your relatives have in the past been victimized by Cossack soldiers for which would like to extend my condolences. But personally I don't believe in monsters even while I do believe in humans. Still while the Cossacks are far, far from glamerous heroes they have a very fascinating history that can be worth looking into for those interested in adventure or rebellion stories.

The great (as in large) book about Russia I'm reading is not grey, more like red with a picture of the Kremlin on the front, but its a bit over 500 pages and is indeed pretty heavy.
I understand that the Cossaks were human, and am interested in reading about them. It's just funny, that's all. They are a big part of why I am an American, and why some of my great-grandparents are not buried in a mass grave somewhere in Europe LOL.
I think we may be thinking about the same Russia book. This one?
51SgVUZuSIL._AC_US218_.jpg

Exactly. I didn't know that the Corellian YT series Freighters were modular. So that is why no two ships look exactly alike but share a lot of common components. A neat bit of Handwavium that lets the people doing the CGI to be creative.
I guess it makes sense that someone would do a writeup on them for their respective fans. Fandom amazes and enthralls me. I don't belong to any fandom, but love reading about them.

Gurkhal

Auror
I understand that the Cossaks were human, and am interested in reading about them. It's just funny, that's all. They are a big part of why I am an American, and why some of my great-grandparents are not buried in a mass grave somewhere in Europe LOL.
I think we may be thinking about the same Russia book. This one?
51SgVUZuSIL._AC_US218_.jpg

I guess it makes sense that someone would do a writeup on them for their respective fans. Fandom amazes and enthralls me. I don't belong to any fandom, but love reading about them.

Ok.

You're giving me a lot of hints about your background and family's history. If you want to talk about it I'm all here to listen. And if you don't want to, its ok.

But yes, that is the book even if I have a different cover on mine.

Dark Squiggle

Troubadour
Ok.

You're giving me a lot of hints about your background and family's history. If you want to talk about it I'm all here to listen. And if you don't want to, its ok.

But yes, that is the book even if I have a different cover on mine.
Thanks, but I don't feel a need either way. It's just strange to hear about Cossaks outside of the realm of stories of the horrible things that went on in Europe and why we should be happy and proud to be Americans. In truth, I would enjoy learning more about Cossaks as people, not as pillagers.

Gurkhal

Auror
Ok. Well, I there are a few books out there if you want to read about the Cossacks, and they often play a role in Russian and Ukrainian history as well, so if you're interested in that there's literature available.

Mythopoet

Auror
It's just strange to hear about Cossaks outside of the realm of stories of the horrible things that went on in Europe and why we should be happy and proud to be Americans.

I don't think you'll ever find much of that type of sentiment around here. As writers and worldbuilders, we're all rather more fascinated by other cultures and less likely to judge, I think.

JediKnightMuse

Troubadour
I'm reading Kelly Blanchard's Someday I'll Be Redeemed. It's addicting! It's mostly fantasy but I guess it's kind of science fantasy, too, 'cause of some of the world building involved. Kelly Blanchard is a successful NaNoWriMo self-published author, and she's genuinely awesome- she has her own Facebook group for fans of her books (she has four out so far and is working on book five) where she interacts with her readers. She's even offered to help me with my world building, which is huge 'cause she's so busy working on her books. I haven't taken her up on the offer yet, but I definitely plan to. We realized that she and I used to know of each other (or at least, she knew of me...not sure if I really knew who she was) on a Star Wars forum we were both on back in the day, which is pretty cool.

Mythopoet

Auror
I'm reading the Emily of New Moon trilogy. Yet again. Every time I read it, I am reminded of why it is so difficult to read. But I still like it, even then.

I tried to read the first book but ultimately just got bored of it.

I finished Magician: Apprentice which continues in Magician: Master but I'm not sure I'm going to read the next book. It was a decent book, but nothing about it really drew me in or compelled me to want to continue the story.

Right now I'm reading The Forgotten Beasts of Eld by Patricia McKillip and enjoying it quite a bit.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Reading an Ellery Queen novel, The King is Dead. Wonderfully enjoyable with a central character who could serve as a Bond villain, complete with private army and an island fortress. But he's the one who's going to be murdered!

Mythopoet

Auror
Finished The Forgotten Beasts of Eld. Quite good.

Also read Vampire Hunter D: Tale of the Dead Town (book 4). I'm really enjoying this series.

Rebekkah V.

Acolyte
Fiction:
Brent Weeks, The Black Prism (for the 3rd time)

Non-fiction:
Paul Kriwaczek, Babylon: Mesopotamia and the Birth of Civilization
Craig A. Williams, Roman Homosexuality

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Ancient And Medieval Warfare by Oliver Lyman Spaulding & Hoffman Nickerson
It's a bit dry but I'm liking it so far.