What are you Reading Now?

Discussion in 'Novels & Stories' started by Mythopoet, Dec 12, 2013.

1. skip.knox

skip.knox Staff Moderator

>knows how to tell a good story

This is my goal as a writer.

Steerpike likes this.
  2. Dark Squiggle

Dark Squiggle Lore Master

Just Finished Dreamsnake by Vonda N. McIntyre. I liked it a lot. Postapocalyptical but not dark, and character based, with minimal worldbuilding, can you imagine that?
    Started reading Knickerbocker's History of New York. I like it so far, but it's not as good yet as I thought it would be.

3. T.Allen.Smith

T.Allen.Smith Staff Moderator

I've learned a lot as a writer by reading widely, across genres.

Currently, I'm reading Cormac McCarthy's All the Pretty Horses. Its a period piece about two young cowboys coming of age in 1949.

Steerpike likes this.
  4. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

That’s in my to-read stack.

5. T.Allen.Smith

T.Allen.Smith Staff Moderator

I love his descriptions of setting. McCarthy is also great at pulling you in slowly and making you care about that characters.

Steerpike likes this.
  6. Incanus

Incanus Shadow Lord

Re-reading Memories of Ice.

It's very, very cool. If there was ever a series designed to be re-read, it is these Malazan books. I'm getting much more out of it this time around.

Also, reading a book about ancient cities by L. Sprague de Camp. Not researching anything in particular, just trying to increase my general knowledge, and perhaps get some inspiration.

Steerpike likes this.
  7. Ban

Ban Staff Article Team

I'm mid-way on Siddharta Mukherjee's "the Emperor of all Maladies" and nearly finished with Selwyn Raab's "the Five Families". I like thick, informative books and I can recommend both to people interested in understanding the history of cancer treatment or the history of the mafia in New York city.

8. DragonOfTheAerie

DragonOfTheAerie Valar Lord

Boneshaker by Cherie Priest.

I think steampunk+zombies will
    never fail to entrance me.

9. Dark Squiggle

it's a great book. I loved it.

10. Gurkhal

Gurkhal Scribal Lord

Reading some non-fiction again. This time its "A HIstory of the Archaic Greek World" by Jpnathan M. Hall.

11. Dark Squiggle

Just read the first two books of Harry Turtledove's Worldwar series, In the Balance and Tilting the Balance. At first I loved them, as they felt so realistic, so much time was spent with machines, and there characters were so diverse. By the end of the second book, I quit the series. There was too much frustration, too much sex (most of it left me confused as to why it should be included - who cares?), I began to find glaring gaps in the Jewishness of the Jewish characters that lead me to doubt the realism of the other characters, and I began to feel that there was no reason to having so many characters, as I was 700+ pages deep, and few if any characters were effecting each other in any way.
    I then read Terry Pratchett's Men at Arms again. Good every time.
    Finally, I just read R. A. MacAvoy's Tea with the Black Dragon last night. I loved it. I will not say much about, as anything I say will be a spoiler, but it was incredible.

12. James The Dragon Dude

James The Dragon Dude Apprentice

I've started on Shadow and Bone recently, as well as Vector Prime, (The First book in the New Jedi Order series) The Picture of Dorian Gray, Been Re-reading Dragon Age: The Stolen Throne, and I eagerly await when the copy of The Godfather I ordered gets here!

DragonOfTheAerie likes this.
  13. Dark Squiggle

Dorian Gray's one of my favorite books.

14. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

MacAvoy is very good. Also read her novel Lens of the World. You'll probably like that one as well.

Dark Squiggle likes this.
  15. DragonOfTheAerie

DragonOfTheAerie Valar Lord

My brother wanted me to read one of his books so we could talk about it, so now i'm reading the first Magnus Chase novel (The Sword of Summer). I couldn't stand Percy Jackson, but this one is, well—not bad.

16. skip.knox

skip.knox Staff Moderator

Right now I'm reading a collection of locked-room mysteries. I probably shouldn't be, but I'm surprised out how formulaic they are.

I thought I should read up anyway, as I'm tickled by the notion of having a locked-room mystery involving wizards, and figured I need to know the genre first.

17. Demesnedenoir

Demesnedenoir Dark Lord

I’m finally back to reading Silence of the Lambs. Whether or not Harris is an obssessive plotter or not, the dude’s plot structure is impressive as hell. Harris’ writing is “thriller” and procedural in many places, but one could design a literature/writing class combo around this book with its character arcs, characterization, and plot structure.

18. Gurkhal

Gurkhal Scribal Lord

And now I'm moving on to "The Mask of Apollo" by Mary Renault. After many delays with "The Last of the Wine".

19. TheCrystallineEntity

TheCrystallineEntity Dark Lord

Diana Wynne Jones' Unexpected Magic. I've read it many times before.

20. Chessie2

Chessie2 Staff Article Team

Dad has loaned me The Willows In Winter, a follow up to The Wind In The Willows. It's been ages since I read the first book, but I still recall how annoying and nervous The Mole always was!