• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What are you Reading Now?

Dark Squiggle

Troubadour
Just read the first two books of Harry Turtledove's Worldwar series, In the Balance and Tilting the Balance. At first I loved them, as they felt so realistic, so much time was spent with machines, and there characters were so diverse. By the end of the second book, I quit the series. There was too much frustration, too much sex (most of it left me confused as to why it should be included - who cares?), I began to find glaring gaps in the Jewishness of the Jewish characters that lead me to doubt the realism of the other characters, and I began to feel that there was no reason to having so many characters, as I was 700+ pages deep, and few if any characters were effecting each other in any way.
I then read Terry Pratchett's Men at Arms again. Good every time.
Finally, I just read R. A. MacAvoy's Tea with the Black Dragon last night. I loved it. I will not say much about, as anything I say will be a spoiler, but it was incredible.

I've started on Shadow and Bone recently, as well as Vector Prime, (The First book in the New Jedi Order series) The Picture of Dorian Gray, Been Re-reading Dragon Age: The Stolen Throne, and I eagerly await when the copy of The Godfather I ordered gets here!

My brother wanted me to read one of his books so we could talk about it, so now i'm reading the first Magnus Chase novel (The Sword of Summer). I couldn't stand Percy Jackson, but this one is, well—not bad.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Right now I'm reading a collection of locked-room mysteries. I probably shouldn't be, but I'm surprised out how formulaic they are.

I thought I should read up anyway, as I'm tickled by the notion of having a locked-room mystery involving wizards, and figured I need to know the genre first.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
I’m finally back to reading Silence of the Lambs. Whether or not Harris is an obssessive plotter or not, the dude’s plot structure is impressive as hell. Harris’ writing is “thriller” and procedural in many places, but one could design a literature/writing class combo around this book with its character arcs, characterization, and plot structure.

Chessie2

Staff
Article Team
Dad has loaned me The Willows In Winter, a follow up to The Wind In The Willows. It's been ages since I read the first book, but I still recall how annoying and nervous The Mole always was!

Just finished Stefan Zweigs Maria Stuart. Great read, as in general with Stefan Zweig. He has a way to make history come alive but he never tries to give you the impression he's representing you with all the facts. It's always clear you're reading an author that wasn't there and is just trying to make sense of it all. Feels quite honest.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
I'm having fun reading two Workshop Owners Manuals
Millenium Falcon Modified YT-1300 Corellian Freighter
and
Klingon Bird-of-Prey IKS Rotarran [B'rel Class]
I get more of the Star Trek back-story than I do from Star Wars.
But in either case, they are both fun and interesting. I got them cheap at a Charity shop. So a few pounds well spent.

Geo

Troubadour
I just finished The Martian, I loved it, it took me something like 8 hrs to finish it because I couldn't -quite literally- put the book down. Now I'm starting The Loneliest Girl in the Universe, I choose to read these two back to back because they have very similar premises but one is adult the other one is YA, one is a male perspective the other one female, and I want to see how each author manage to carry a story that is, by shear principle, a single character story.

Mythopoet

Auror
I'm currently reading Magician: Apprentice by Raymond E. Feist. It's one of the better Tolkien-esque books I've read. I cringed a little though when the characters had to go through a dwarf mine (because the mountain passes were closed) and lost one member of their party after encountering an ancient evil.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I read that one many years ago. I don't remember much about it, other than the main character was named Pug, or something similar. I had trouble getting over that.

Gurkhal

Auror
Continuing my pause from Mary Renault and reading Russia: People and Empire by Geoffrey Hoskin. Its a bit dated in regards to scholarship but still a pretty interesting take on the Russian empire from the 16th centurt to 1917.

Dark Squiggle

Troubadour
Took a small break from Mary Renault to read "The Cossacks" by Robert Ure. Its a really interesting history.
Interesting. All I know about Cossaks is family folklore about people who were nearly monsters, in the orc/goblin sense.

Continuing my pause from Mary Renault and reading Russia: People and Empire by Geoffrey Hoskin. Its a bit dated in regards to scholarship but still a pretty interesting take on the Russian empire from the 16th centurt to 1917.
Is that a grey book, ~500 pgs and heavy? I DNF'd it, not because I didn't like it, but because I was distracted.
I'm having fun reading two Workshop Owners Manuals
Millenium Falcon Modified YT-1300 Corellian Freighter
and
Klingon Bird-of-Prey IKS Rotarran [B'rel Class]
I get more of the Star Trek back-story than I do from Star Wars.
But in either case, they are both fun and interesting. I got them cheap at a Charity shop. So a few pounds well spent.
An owner's manual for a non existent and physically impossible spaceship?