• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What are you Reading Now?

Mythopoet

Auror
Holy crap.

This book has swallowed me. It has a fishhook down my throat. So gooooood

I read that one not long ago and it really swallowed me up too. It's very good, in that it accomplishes its goal. Though I don't know if I could say it's good in the sense that it was an enjoyable read. It was a little too harrowing for comfort.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
It's the only Atwood I've ever tried to read and not been able to get into. Maybe I'll give it another shot. I like her work a lot, generally.

I finished reading The Forest House by Marion Zimmer Bradley. It had an ending that I did not anticipate at all, and left me with mixed feelings. I'm going to read Priestess of Avalon next, and then The Mists of Avalon again.

Gurkhal

Auror
I'm reading some non-fiction before I plunge into the fiction again.

This time its "Imperial Germany and the Great War, 1914-1918" and "The Madness on the Western Front - from Carl Belfrages diary 1915-1918"

Mythopoet

Auror
I picked up Uprooted by Naomi Novik today on kindle for 2.99! I've been wanting to read this for a long time but refused to pay 11.99 for an ebook.

Chessie2

Staff
Article Team
I'm reading 93 by Victor Hugo. So far its better than The Hunchback of Notre Dame, not sure if its as good as Les Miserables. Some really epic scenes, which are incredible, some seriously over the top characters, but not quite as tightly held together as Les Miserables.
Never read 93 but the Hunchback is one of my favorite novels of all time. Hugo is fantastic. It took me 3 months to read Les Miserables in French when I was living in Montreal. It was tough!

Since it's Christmas and Kindle is sure to be running specials, think I'll load up on some books. Not sure which ones yet though...

Dark Squiggle

Troubadour
Never read 93 but the Hunchback is one of my favorite novels of all time. Hugo is fantastic. It took me 3 months to read Les Miserables in French when I was living in Montreal. It was tough!

Since it's Christmas and Kindle is sure to be running specials, think I'll load up on some books. Not sure which ones yet though...
Hugo is incredible. If you liked Notre Dame, you need to read Les Miserables. It is the most elaborate and balanced thing I have ever read. It is like Notre Dame +100.
I'm officially out of shelf space. Tell my family I love them.
I have been out of shelf space for a long time, too, and will not stop collecting books just because I no longer can put them on bookshelves. They do just fine piled up on their sides :)

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Currently reading Angle of Repose by Wallace Stegner. The writing there is brilliant and the characters are fascinating even though if you described them to me, or described the plot, I'd probably say it's not for me. Color me impressed.

Mythopoet

Auror
I don't get books for Christmas. I read mostly ebooks now and no one in my family understands my taste anyway. So I had to beg them to stop many years ago. lol

I got two Order of the Stick volumes [I'll probably use my Christmas money to get the rest], a Darkover novel, a book called Winnowing from my aunt, a book of cat poetry, and the second volume of a trilogy about witches [I have neither the first nor the third...]

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
I have a list of books I want. Made it years ago, probably a hundred or more. I told my kids: you can buy from this list, or you can buy me a book that has impressed you. Either way, inscribe it (always a physical book) with at least your name and the year. Do this for birthday or Christmas.

The result is that I have a whole shelf of books from my kids. It's pretty eclectic. Some of the books that impressed them didn't impress me, but at least for every occasion, if they can't think of a gift, they can go to Dad's list.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I’m reading, among other things, The Fifth Season, by NK Jemisin. Quite good so far, and nice to see yet another author destroy the myth that one can’t do second person POV well.