What are you Reading Now?

Discussion in 'Novels & Stories' started by Mythopoet, Dec 12, 2013.

1. skip.knox

skip.knox Staff Moderator

The Chill, Ross Macdonald.
    Trying to read The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch but the prose doesn't bear up well next to Macdonald, and the plotting still less so. I've given up on so many fantasy books, though, I'm going to stick this one out.

2. Mythopoet

Mythopoet Dark Lord

Currently rereading The Two Towers and remembering just how great the Ents are as a unique fantasy race. Walking, talking tree-people have become a trope since, but the Ents are really something special. The way Treebeard talks makes them feel real.

Also reading Vampire Hunter D volume 7: Mysterious Journey to the North Sea part 1. D never fails to deliver. I love these books.

Also forgot to mention I recently read all 3 (currently published) volumes of the comic Monstress by Marjorie Liu and Sana Takeda and which won the Hugo award for best graphic story the past two years and totally deserves it. Normally I shy away from stories with lots of graphic sex and violence (and in this case it's literally graphic) but somehow this story just completely reeled me in and won't let go. The further I read the more I like the main character, Maika, and want to see the rest of her journey to discover who and what she is. Also the art is breathtakingly gorgeous in full color. (Which I'm not used to since I normally read manga.)

DragonOfTheAerie likes this.
  3. DragonOfTheAerie

DragonOfTheAerie Valar Lord

Just started both Red Sister and City of Stairs and I am having such trouble getting into both. Red Sister seems promising but I feel that City of Stairs will be only satisfying in world building. So many authors seem only able to create characters the emotional equivalent of rain soaked cardboard and I have a nasty suspicion this author will be one of them. Purely because of an unplaceable similarity to China Mieville who has a wonderful (if deeply messed up) imagination but falls short in other areas for me.

4. DragonOfTheAerie

DragonOfTheAerie Valar Lord

The Two Towers is my favorite out of the LOTR trilogy and I love treebeard and the ents

5. skip.knox

skip.knox Staff Moderator

I'm reading Gregory of Tours (well, jump-reading), which led me crab-wise to a book by Charles Oman called "Things I Have Seen" which is a memoir of sorts. Oman was an important medieval historian. Wrote the classic work, The Art of War in the Middle Ages (long since superseded).

I'm very much enjoying the memoir, which begins with him seeing Napoleon III and Princess Eugenie when he was a child, to various turn of the century events mostly forgotten now, to interesting chapters on post-WWI Europe. He spent two months on the Rhine in 1919, and went to Italy in 1921. Wrote the book in 1933, so the perspective is interesting. And being a medieval historian, the prose is of course stellar. :)

May all gods bless the Internet Archive.

Gurkhal likes this.
  6. Insolent Lad

Insolent Lad Lore Master

Rediscovered the 'Sanctuary' series and am into the third book ('Shadow of Sanctuary'). While I was at it, picked up the first of Asprin's 'Myth' series. I had fond memories of all these but they don't quite live up to them now. Still, decent enough to fill some idle time.