1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

What are you Reading Now?

Discussion in 'Novels & Stories' started by Mythopoet, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

I'm awaiting the next one. The show is quite good, too.

2. skip.knox

skip.knox toujours gai, archie Moderator

I watched the first season, because it was free. It's very good, but I'm glad I'm reading the books. When it comes to astounding tales, words do it better.

3. Mythopoet

Mythopoet Auror

I read the first volume of the light novel series The Devil is a Part-timer! and it was even more hilarious than the anime was. Definitely going to keep reading this series. Highly recommend.

The premise is that there's a fantasy world where the Devil King Satan is bent on world conquest, but just before achieving victory a Hero appears. One by one his armies are defeated and the Hero and her party assault the Devil's Castle. As a last resort, the Devil King and his one remaining Great Demon General create a portal and flee to another world: this world, Tokyo, Japan. Where they find that they have lost their demon forms and have no natural supply of magic power. They are stuck here in human bodies, subject to human frailties and no way to create another portal to return home. But the Devil King is unfazed. He forms a plan. He will... get a part-time job! If he does well enough he might even make it to... Full-time Employee! And once he can surpass his manager at MgRonald's he'll be poised to take over the world! Only one problem, Emilia the Hero followed him to this new world and though she also is cut off from the source of her holy power, she's still trying to kill him.

4. Gurkhal

Gurkhal Archmage

Just some 25 pages and I've finally finished with Geoffrey Hosking. Soon, so very soon.

5. Gurkhal

Gurkhal Archmage

And now its finished.

I'm moving on to Anna Virubova's memoir about her life, and perhaps most interesting about life at the Imperial Russian court between 1905-1917.

6. Mythopoet

Mythopoet Auror

I finished reading The Story of Kullervo. A volume including Tolkien's unfinished "The Story of Kullervo", based on the Kullervo cyle of the Kalevala, two versions of his lecture on the Kalevala and an essay about Tolkien's relationship with the Kalevala. It was all quite fascinating. It's common knowledge that Tolkien's Turin Turambar and the Tale of the Children of Hurin takes a lot from Kullervo, but until now I had never really fathomed why Tolkien was so inspired by this story in particular. It's easily my least favorite part of the Kalevala and I find Kullervo himself rather a repulsive figure. But after reading this I have a better understanding. It's also very interesting to see one of Tolkien's earliest attempts at creating names. Some of the "word sounds" he used in Kullervo ended up as part of proto-Quenya.

I also finished 1177 BC: The Year Civilization Collapsed. Despite its unfortunately sensationalist title (for which I imagine the publishers are to blame) this was a very informative look at the Bronze Age Collapse and what really caused it. Was it the Sea Peoples? Was it earthquakes? Was it climate change and famine? Many theories have been put forth by historians over time. The book comes to the very reasonable conclusion that it was all of the above. Or rather, a total systems collapse caused by many different disasters in different places and times that had a large ripple effect that devastated the whole eastern Mediterranean. The most interesting part of the book though was not about what caused the collapse but was the detailed picture the author painted of what the Bronze Age was like pre-collapse. He describes it as a far more advanced, interconnected and cosmopolitan age than I realized. In fact, he compares it directly to our own times and not without reason.

7. CupofJoe

CupofJoe Vala

After reading a few Crime stories, I've come back to Fantasy [sort of] and left Crime behind [and no, not really]. I've just started Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch. It is entertaining so far. Light and quick but not slight. The main characters are engaging and interesting as well as being likeable [for the most part] and believable. One thing I have noticed already is that it is set in early 2012 and it is strange to me to read something less than ten years old and have it feel like a period piece.

8. I vented about one Charles de Lint book, and here I am so glad that I found one that doesn't have any adult content, and is so, so good that I almost want to buy all of the others. But I must proceed with caution.

9. neodoering

neodoering Minstrel

I just picked up the library's copy of Power Failure by Ben Bova. Its been a while since I read his stuff, and I'm really looking to digging in.

10. Ross

Ross Acolyte

The Blade Itself, then on to Before They Are Hanged, by Joe Abercrombie. It's a new, gritty fantasy trilogy. Gripping stuff so far!

11. Steerpike

The Best of Caitlin R. Kiernan.

12. Mythopoet

Mythopoet Auror

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. It was alright.

Now I'm finally reading Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny. It's FINALLY on kindle. I'm loving it.

13. skip.knox

skip.knox toujours gai, archie Moderator

The Hod King, by Josiah Bancroft. I'm only partway through, but so far I'm disappointed. What had been a wildly inventive adventure story has, for this section at least, become a pine-and-whine romance. But on the strength of the first two volumes, I'll soldier on. The next section switches POV character, so there's hope for a new tone.

14. Gurkhal

Gurkhal Archmage

Just got the book "The Russo-Japanese War in Global Perspectiv volume 1". Will start reading it tonight if everything goes according to plan.

15. ALB2012

ALB2012 Maester

I just finished Lord of the Flies audio (which was awesome) and gave up trying to read Moby Dick again. Not sure what's next...

16. Insolent Lad

Insolent Lad Sage

I decided to finally tackle Gravity's Rainbow. It's not as bad as some folks claim. Nor as good as others claim.

17. Gurkhal

Gurkhal Archmage

Thinking about making a major investment into David Edding's fantasy literature. I didn't really like it when I first read it but hopefully I am not as fixed in my preferences that I can't appreciate the parts of it that I did like, and can try to see where he's trying to take me as opposed to struggle against it.

18. Steerpike

848FED17-008B-43FA-A0FB-623B48C717C0.jpeg

Gurkhal likes this.
  19. Crcata

Crcata Acolyte

Right now, the chronicle for WoW.

20. Ban

Ban Sir Laserface Article Team

Does anyone remember me saying that I started reading Peter Frankopan's silk roads?

5 months later I've finished it. An absolutely fantastic history book telling world history from the perspective of the heartland of Asia. I fully recommend it to anyne evenbhalfway interested in the subject, though because it is so densely packed with information I got sidetracked way too often, to the point that I had to read other books in between just to give myself a bit of a breather.

Onwards to other tales!

Gurkhal likes this.