What are you Reading Now?

Discussion in 'Novels & Stories' started by Mythopoet, Dec 12, 2013.

1. skip.knox

skip.knox Staff Moderator

I really do think we are losing something permanently here. There simply isn't going to be another generation like that of Gardner Dozois, H.L. Gold, James Blish, James Baen, Ben Bova, Damon Knight, Anthony Boucher (not to mention Gernsback and Campbell). The world has changed; it is too fractured now.

I'm getting old (am old!). I miss the unity when one listened to that one underground radio station, got the news from this newspaper and that network (Cronkite, or Huntley-Brinkley?), and the number of SF (and fantasy) publishers and magazines could be counted on one hand. One belonged to a subculture that was shared right across the country. Seeing someone at the newsstand looking through the latest copy of Astounding meant you could talk to them. They were of our people.

The magazine editors played a crucial role in creating that feeling.

2. Gurkhal

Gurkhal Shadow Lord

Got my copy of "Fire and Blood" a couple of days ago. Everything else is on hold for now.

3. DragonOfTheAerie

DragonOfTheAerie Valar Lord

You ever feel like youve run into so many sucky books in a row you dont want to read anymore for a while?

4. Svrtnsse

Svrtnsse Staff Article Team

Not quite exactly like this, but close. Last few years, I've come across books that I didn't enjoy for various reasons, but I've still felt compelled to give them a good chance and not pick up a new story before I've finished the ones I've started. This then lead to me just not reading at all. It became a chore rather than a pleasure.
    I'm now trying real hard to not get back into that situation, and I allow myself to put away and forget about books I don't enjoy.

5. skip.knox

My trusty reading list protects me from this. I'm slogging my way through Robin Hobb's Royal Assassin. Whenever I get discouraged (which is every couple of chapters), I turn to my reading list.

I just finished Old Yeller by Fred Gipson. Good story. It also reminded me that good fiction about 19thc or early 20thc rural America is a great place for fantasy writers to find pre-industrial tidbits--not only about material life but also habits of mind and speech. La vie quotidienne.

At a far extreme, I'm also reading Breakfast at Tiffany's, by Truman Capote.

6. Gurkhal

Gurkhal Shadow Lord

I never thought it could possibly come to this for me, but I feel disillusioned with GRRM at this moment after reading "Fire and Blood" as I realize that I have tricked myself into seeing things that were not there in the story. GRRM is an excellent author and deserves great credit praise for his work, but I can't personally love it any longer, even if I hope I will still appreciate it. The flaws of fantasy stories that I thought he might not have, have become clear to me.

I don't feel much bitterness but more feeling a bit of emptiness over a wonderful dream I once had, but can no longer recall.

7. skip.knox

I gave up on that story years ago. I just gradually stopped caring.

8. Gurkhal

Gurkhal Shadow Lord

And right now I am currently reading four books at the same time while jumping between them; Russia: People and Empire, A History of the Archaic Greek World, A Complete Guide to Heraldry and Fire and Blood.

After these ones are done I hope to continue with Mary Renault and Tolostoy.

9. skip.knox

Breakfast at Tiffany's was an embarrassment and a disappointment. But now I'm reading On the Beach. Much better.

This is the third Neville Shute book I've read. This fellow deserves wider recognition. Yes, some of his works were made into movies, but one hardly ever hears his name these days. Each book of his so far has been utterly memorable, even though his prose is ... homely? Workaday? Understated. Straightforward. Whatever, his prose manages to snag me within the first chapter without being in the least showy or dramatic.

This book is a prime example. He's writing about nuclear Armageddon, but does he narrate the war? No. Does he show us people struggling in a nuclear wasteland? No. Instead, he gives us people untouched by the war, but waiting for the winds of the planet to bring death from the northern to the southern hemisphere. It's surprisingly touching.

10. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

Started Camelot 30K, by Robert L. Forward. In addition to the others I already had going.