1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

What are you Reading Now?

Discussion in 'Novels & Stories' started by Mythopoet, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Tom

Tom Istar

Does your library belong to a system? Because if so you can usually request books from other libraries in the system that your local branch doesn't have. My local library growing up had 2 rooms and a budget comparable to a 1-room schoolhouse, but I was able to get a ton of books through their interlibrary loan system. (Seriously, the YA section was 2 shelves. This was also a little before the YA fiction boom so everything was either outdated or crap or both.) I would request at least 4 or 5 new books a week and they'd usually ship in to my library branch within a day or two of placing a hold on them. Looking back, the website they used was prehistoric....

In modern times, you can also borrow ebooks from your library system (if they're that up on the times). I use the Libby app developed by Overdrive, mostly because I like the reading mechanics better than Hoopla and the original Overdrive app. Pretty sure you can also request digital copies of movies/tv shows on Hoopla.

2. skip.knox

skip.knox toujours gai, archie Moderator

Reading Malice by John Gwynne. I'm not enjoying it much, as it seems to be rather plodding and predictable, but lots of people speaking highly. Plus, he's published and I ain't, so the ought to pay attention.

3. Good Omens--for what is probably the seventh or eighth time.

4. Mythopoet

Mythopoet Auror

So right now I am reading...

J.R.R. Tolkien: a biography by Humphrey Carpenter
    Don Rodriguez: Chronicles of Shadow Valley by Lord Dunsany
    Red Moon and Black Mountain by Joy Chant

5. briar_rose

briar_rose Acolyte

I'm reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman and really enjoying which surprises me as I tried reading Neverwhere several times and just couldn't get into it.

6. Gurkhal

Gurkhal Archmage

I'd like to keep reading both "The Cossacks" by Leo Tolstoy as well as "Village Life in Late Tsarist Russia" but my glasses are broken and it seems like it will be two weeks or more before I can get them fixed. :(

7. Svrtnsse

Svrtnsse Staff Article Team

Recently I've read:
    Trust A Few, by E.M. Swift-Hook (sci-fi)
    The Atrocities, by Jeremy C. Shipp (gothic horror)
    Tallis Steelyard. Deep Water and other stories, by Jim Webster (fantasy short story collection)
    Binti and Home, by Nnedi Okorafor (science fantasy)
    The Caged Kingdom, by M.A. Price (fantasy)

Next up, I'll go for the next book in the Binti series, and then I'll probably pick up another Tallis Steelyard collection.
    Most notably, it feels like I've found the joy of reading again. For years now, it's been something I've done more out of a sense of obligation, than because I've really enjoyed it. I've read some good books in that time, but the urge to drop everything else just to read hasn't been there, and I can't remember when last I felt it this strongly.

Gurkhal likes this.
  8. Mythopoet

Mythopoet Auror

Picked up Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman for sale on kindle. This is one that's been on my "want to read" list for a while. I had no idea it was actually a tv series first. So far so good, but I have a feeling I'm ultimately going to be disappointed by the level of world building. But that's just a personal taste issue. For me, more world building is (almost) always better.

9. Tom

Tom Istar

Currently reading:

Authority by Jeff VanderMeer (book 2 of the Southern Reach trilogy)
    The Farthest Shore by Ursula K Le Guin (book 3 of Earthsea)
    POP: How Graphic Design Shapes Popular Culture by Steven Heller

I started the summer off with the goal of rereading the Earthsea books, as well as reading Dune for the first time. I feel like I can't really call myself an SFF writer till I do. I'm planning to reread Good Omens (for like the thousandth time) as well.

I also picked up the Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer, after watching the Alex Garland movie based on it. It could work as as a standalone, but I've also decided to read the other two books in the trilogy. The style is sparse and atmospheric, picking its words carefully, which I love--I have to say, I also really appreciate VanderMeer's refusal to be transparent. It seems in recent years there's been a trend toward authors feeling as if they must explain, whether explicitly or implicitly, the inner workings of their world in order to hold our interest. Nothing gets explained in Annihilation. At most the main character/narrator speculates, but nothing she theorizes about her surroundings is ever proven. It's refreshing and intriguing.

DragonOfTheAerie likes this.
  10. City of Miracles by Robert Jackson Bennett.

I love this trilogy with all my heart and I am both excited and scared for it to end.

11. skip.knox

12. Mythopoet

Mythopoet Auror

Finished Neverwhere. Yep, world building was just a bit too shallow for me. It was a good book, but for me not a great one.

Also read The Rose Princess, book 9 in the Vampire Hunter D series. Very interesting. Explored a different perspective of the Nobility (vampires). I love how each book slowly reveals more and more about the world. It's really an amazing setting.

13. CupofJoe

CupofJoe Vala

Snap! :)
    But I liked the sparse world-building. I thought it showed Richard Mayhew's incomplete understanding of what was happening to him. My copy was illustrated so maybe that helped fill in some of the gaps. I thought it very different, from the TV series and usually the better for it. I have a special love for the TV show as it was one of the last old-style BBC Doctor Who budget serials [no money, all smoke and mirrors].

14. Mythopoet

Mythopoet Auror

Oh I certainly wouldn't claim that the sparse world building was a bad thing. Obviously it was a conscious decision made to complement the storytelling style and characters. Just that because of my personal taste it made the reading experience less rich and enjoyable for me.

CupofJoe likes this.
  15. pmmg

pmmg Auror

I just finished The Widows Second Chance by our own Chessie. Very well done.

I started Win Bigly by Scott Adams. Not a fiction one that, but I find the presentation engaging anyway.

Chessie2 likes this.
  16. Insolent Lad

Insolent Lad Sage

I'm currently on 'Alas Babylon' which I hadn't read since I was a teen. It comes off as a bit of a long-winded boy scout manual. But as I've gone along I realized it was an influence on some of my very earliest world building, which was of the post-apocalyptic sort.

17. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

Just finished Starfarers, by Vonda N. McIntyre. It was good.

18. skip.knox

Reading Warriors: Into the Wild to my nine-year-old grandson. He loves it, but I'm astonished by how many basic guidelines the writing violates, including a perfect landslide of dialog tags. If ever a book was written adverbially, this is one. The premise is decent and there are a few nice touches, but for the most part it's a huge step down from Treasure Island.

Current book for myself is Children of Earth and Sky, by Guy Gavriel Kay. It's ok, but it's another work with so many different points of view that it's hard to get deeply invested in any of the characters so far. I just catch a glimpse of someone whose story looks interesting and I'm whisked off to someone else. l've been trying to figure out why it's distracting in several novels I can name, yet works well in something like War and Peace. No conclusions yet.

19. Jez

Jez Acolyte

Last night I started Semiosis: A Novel of First Contact - Sue Burke.
    It hooked me in pretty quickly.

20. skip.knox

A disheartening number of books-I-loved-in-my-youth haven't stood up to a re-read. One I remember along the lines of Alas, Babylon is Earth Abides. Have you read that one? No, I haven't gone back to that one; I'm just remembering. The very best nuclear apocalypse book for me remains On the Beach by Neville Shute. One of the bleakest books I've ever read that somehow managed to make me proud to be a human.