1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

What are you Reading Now?

Discussion in 'Novels & Stories' started by Mythopoet, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Insolent Lad

Insolent Lad Sage

I did read 'Earth Abides,' almost as far back as 'Alas Babylon.' I have some memory of the plot, such as it was, in my head. And 'On the Beach,' yes. I've read a fair bit of Shute since but might revisit that one some day. There was another post-apocalyptic novel I remember from that general period too, 'A Canticle for Leibowitz.' I suspect it would also be a disappointment though I ate it up at the time.

skip.knox likes this.
  2. Mythopoet

Mythopoet Auror

After Neverwhere I read Wakenhyrst by Michelle Paver. It's very rare for me to read a non-fantasy book, but I do have a soft spot for "gothic" thrillers. It was certainly gripping.

I also started reading The Poppy War by R. F. Kuang because I've seen it recommended so often and it was on sale. Predictably though, I began losing interest as soon as the actual war started around 40%. At 55% I'm stalled. I just don't find war very interesting. It doesn't help that I can't really relate to or sympathize with the MC.

Now I'm rereading Dune Messiah because I was just in the mood for it. The Dune books are ones that I tend to reread every few years.

3. Mythopoet

Mythopoet Auror

Finished Dune Messiah. Oh man. I cried so much. I forgot how heart-wrenching that book is. Though from what I've seen it seems like I'm the only person who really, strongly sympathizes with Paul and his anxieties. Most people I've talked to about the books don't have much patience for him. Moved directly on to Children of Dune because how can I not. As much as I love Paul and I really love Paul, I might possibly love Leto II more.

4. EarlTheRed

EarlTheRed Dreamer

I'm not reading anything at the very moment, but I did just finish Gilded Cage by Vic James, which I must say, was awesome.

5. Avadyyrm

Avadyyrm Dreamer

Just finished eye of the world. Starting the Wheel of time series

6. I had the same experience though I finished the book halfheartedly. It IS a wonderful bit of world building from the beginning, but the war? It didn't work for me either at that point.

Currently reading: The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield and The Witch's Boy by Kelly Barnhill

7. Mythopoet

Mythopoet Auror

Ok that one sounds so interesting I had to start it right away.

8. Sir Zyr

Sir Zyr New Member

Mortal Gods by Benjamin Medrano

9. kennyc

kennyc Inkling

10. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

Second of the Starfarers books by Vonda McIntyre.

Plus I discovered Deborah Turner Harris. Reading her Mages of Garillon books. So good.

11. Insolent Lad

Insolent Lad Sage

Although it's short (a novella in fact), I'm taking my time to reread Jack Vance's 'The Dragon Masters.' I am being reminded why it is one of the classics of science fiction.

Steerpike likes this.
  12. Mythopoet

Mythopoet Auror

I've finished reading Children of Dune and it was almost a different experience entirely from the last time I read it. I feel like I understood certain aspect better this time. Having had deeper experiences with the first 3 Dune series books this time around, I think I will reread them all this time. Normally I don't both rereading Heretics or Chapterhouse. I'm really looking forward to having new revelations in God Emperor of Dune next.

But first... I want to immerse myself in research reading. I have a TON of books I want to read to help me with my world building. Though my world is decidedly fantasy, it's basically our world in an "alternate universe" where I'm taking a ton of stuff I find fascinating in our world and putting it in a blender and whipping it up into a delicious smoothie. So I take a lot of material from history, particularly ancient to late antiquity, and a ton from various mythologies. So I have a huge reading list of books about mythology and history and culture. I started reading Pliny's Natural History the other day and wow is it wild.