1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

What are you Reading Now?

Discussion in 'Novels & Stories' started by Mythopoet, Dec 12, 2013.

1. kennyc

kennyc Inkling

Just read Steinbeck's East of Eden for the first time (after avoiding it forever) ... it was Wonderful! He is such an Amazing Writer. The ending was perfect and included a small fitting surprise at the finale.

skip.knox likes this.
  2. Gurkhal

Gurkhal Archmage

Going back to a classic. Ordered "Pawn of Prophecy" by David Eddings. I didn't really like it when it first read it but we'll see if I have matured and can get past my own issues with books. It will be interesting to revisit this classic.

Although I am aware that it probably hasn't aged very well in many aspects. Still a classic that everyone should have read.

3. Red Star

Red Star Dreamer

Reading Dune for the first time. I know. I'm ashamed.

Gurkhal likes this.
  4. kennyc

kennyc Inkling

N.K. Jemisin's The Broken Earth trilogy.

5. Gurkhal

Gurkhal Archmage

I haven't read it either yet, so I know the feeling. :(

Red Star likes this.
  6. Insolent Lad

Insolent Lad Inkling

I'm about two-thirds of the way through Ben-Hur, which I hadn't read since I was a teen. Despite being extraordinarily long-winded, it's any easy read. But so much relies on unlikely coincidences!

Gurkhal likes this.
  7. Orc Knight

Orc Knight Archmage

Haven't read that in forever. I am currently reading The Unspoken Name. Which involves a very rare thing for fantasy. An orc heroine, of sorts. Well, Assassin and bruiser among other things and quite well learned. Been quite good so far.

8. Insolent Lad

Insolent Lad Inkling

I must say I am finding Ben-Hur, despite the preposterous coincidences that drive the plot, a textbook on story structure.

9. Orc Knight

Orc Knight Archmage

I am now reading Ian Watson's Space Marine. The first published story involving the everloving grim darkness of the far future of only war. It is, well, it is something for certain. From a Marine named Biff to very verbose language that suddenly slams into stunted pidgen and course word use. And you kind of get used to the marines being spoken of almost lovingly in their buff musculature and the main trio's brotherhood that borders on the homoerotic when in their heads. It's good in it's own way and definitely worth a read for an early look into the slightly more colorful grim darkness.

On the other hand, there's still Stunty's in it and a lot of fighting, as per the course of the universe.

10. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

I like a lot of Abnett’s work in WH40K.

Getting ready to start The Waves, by Virginia Woolf. We will see how that one goes.

11. skip.knox

skip.knox toujours gai, archie Moderator

I've been working my way through James Joyce's Ulysses.

Happily, I think I'm on the last sentence.

*groan*

12. Gurkhal

Gurkhal Archmage

While waiting for "Pawn of Prophecy" I'm reading "The Ashes of Heaven's Pillar" by Kim Rendfeld.

13. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

I have it on audio book but haven’t gotten through it yet.

14. skip.knox

I can't imagine how one would read it aloud, still listen listen to it. He has so much word play, so many references, switches in language. Then there's an entire section done as a play script. And that endless last "sentence" with no punctuation at all, not even on the contractions. How does one capture that on an audio book?

I've often wondered how his editor managed not to go insane. And Ulysses is the easier one. Finnegan's Wake is nearly unreadable, or so I've heard.

15. Adela

Adela Scribe

Well, that sounds fun.

Currently reading Stein on Writing and the guy's pretty pretentious. Keeps name dropping people I've never heard of. Also been skipping the non-fiction parts. Should I skip the non-fiction parts? Been asking myself why I bought this.

Also, don't yell at me, but, Return of the King for the first time. Slow going.

16. skip.knox

>Keeps name dropping people I've never heard of.
    He's not really name-dropping, he's quoting so he gives attribution to the author. That you (or I) have not heard of most of them isn't really important to the point he's making Sure skip over the non-fiction parts. Skip over any bits that don't seem relevant.

Which connects to why you bought this. Don't worry about it. A book on writing is filled with advice, presented as a static whole. But an author is an evolving story. We change over time. A bit of advice at one point may seem irrelevant or painfully obvious or needlessly obscure. At another time, though, that same advice will ring like a bronze bell. For myself, advice books--the good ones--have proved valuable but only sporadically, spread out over years. Sometimes the value lies in practical advice, sometimes in inspiration, and sometimes simply in providing an example that finally rings true.

And, this may vary with others, but I find the physical books to be more useful. Those are the ones I'll pull off a shelf in a moment of idlenss (or frustration) and just flip through randomly. That's hard to do with an e-book. Over these past fifteen years or so, the books (fiction and non-fiction alike) that are on my physical bookshelves are the ones that have really earned the spot. The e-books are the ones I just haven't bothered to delete yet.

Adela and Svrtnsse like this.
  17. Kathy Cyr

Kathy Cyr Acolyte

I just started Bad Mermaids by Sibéal Pounder. I loved her Witch Wars series so much and figured I give her other books a try. :)