• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What do you listen to?

Reaver

Staff
Need some entertainment? Just listen to this entire soundtrack and watch my avatar boogie. I challenge you not dance too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phietadix

Auror
I listen mainly to Rich Mullens music. He used to be (He died in a car accident in 1998) a christian musician. His most famous song is Awesome God. My favorites are Sometimes by Step and Screen Door.

tlbodine

Troubadour
My music taste is so ridiculously eclectic, I can't even cover it all. I've got a soft spot for the whole Alternative/Grunge/Punk thing, because I'm a child of the 90s. And I've got a big ol' soft spot for all the Classic Rock, thanks to my dad. Lately I've also gotten super into folk metal and folk punk and other weird crossovers like that.

Every time I start a new writing project, the very first thing I do is put together a playlist that embodies the personality of the story I'm telling. They are widely disparate:

Tagestraum (a novel about a social worker whose child client goes missing in a fairy realm built from living nightmares) -- Lots of Enya and classical stuff and a few bits from film scores Tagestraum -- Music to Write By - YouTube

Nezumi's Children (sort of a feminist response to Watership Down, but featuring rats) -- Lots of folk metal and really epic film/video game scores YouTube

The Beast in the Bedchamber (an anthology of dark fairytale retellings) -- I asked my friends to give me ideas for something "Sexy, sleazy and dark" and mixed it with a liberal dash of Nox Arcana The Beast in the Bedchamber - YouTube

Carnal Jesus (a dystopia wherein self-aware zombies struggle for equal rights) -- Lots of politically-charged alternative from the 2000s, with a few classics tossed in for good measure Carnal Jesus - YouTube

So, y'know, clearly I'm all over the board.

I have a collection of film scores that I mix and match for this purpose. I always use the new Tron soundtrack by Daftpunk to start with - its so full of energy that my fingers just move that much faster. Then it's over to the Gladiator OST, or Lord of the Rings OST, and even, when there's serious derring-do to be written, some of the better tracks from the StarWars collection.

My secret weapon, though, is Sigur Ros, an icelandic band who make strange soundscapes and made-up languages. They get my creativity going when I'm stuck!

[video=youtube_share;Bz8iEJeh26E]http://youtu.be/Bz8iEJeh26E[/video]

Ankari

Hero Breaker
This should get you in the writing mood:

Blackheart by Two Steps From Hell

Chilari

Staff
I love this. einaudi is brilliant anyway and I have quite a lot of music by him but this is one my favourite. It starts slow but becomes a very powerful track.

Chilari

Staff
I also listen to these guys a lot. It's a shame there's not more on Youtube by them but I'm not going to upload their music myself without their permission (not that I'd know how) because I know them and don't want to ruin anything. Sarah (the violinist) used to be my boss for two years and Steve teaches music to my Dad. Anyway. Another slow starter but at about half way through it speeds up and it becomes quite the jig. The album it's from is brilliant.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Had a song in my playlist for the longest time, and I never knew who it was by or what it was called. Finally found out today -- Fires at Midnight by Blackmore's Night. I've started listening to some of their other stuff, and love it. Loreley, The Circle, Ghost of a Rose and Ivory Tower are my faves so far.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Blackmore's Night is great. I saw Ritchie Blackmore play live back when he was in Deep Purple. Was awesome.

Shreddies

Troubadour
I usually listen to a wide variety of musicians, depending on what mood I'm in. My favorites at the moment are (in no particular order):

Two Steps From Hell: El Dorado (Best epic music in my humble opinion)
Flook: Granny in the attic (Very upbeat)
The Piano Guys: Moonlight (Cello and Piano music)
Lecrae: Take Me As I Am (Christian Rap)
Loreena McKennitt: Kecharitomene (Has anyone mentioned her yet?)
E.S. Posthumus: Nara (Like Two Steps, only calmer)
Apocalyptica: Quutamo (Cello Rock)
Gaelic Storm: Johnny Jump Up (Fun Irish music)
Ikuko Kawai: Caravan (Violinist)
Yoshida Brothers: Storm (Shamisen)
James Hill: Misirlou (Ukulele, one of the best)
Pentatonix: Carol of the Bells (Acapella)
Beats Antique: Roustabout (I don't know what genre this is..)

And that's not counting OSTs and game Remixes. There's just so many great musicians out there, I can't stick to one genre. :D

Chilari

Staff
The Piano Guys: Moonlight (Cello and Piano music)

Seconded. The Piano Guys are very awesome indeed. I love the Bach one Steven Sharp Nelson adapted for 8 cellos. And their Cello Wars one too. If you think there's a pattern here, you'd be right. I love the sound of the cello. Needs me some more cello...

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Just discovered this guy, Adrian von Ziegler, thanks to my sisters. This is fantastic.