• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What Makes a Title Great?

Robert Donnell

Minstrel
Well I had a great title "Shattered Worlds!" which exactly reflected what was going on in the book.

Unfortunately there was already a book with almost the same title already on the shelves, it happens Dolly Parton and Shenna Easton released songs with the same name at the same time, ( 9 to 5).

So I am now thinking of changing the title, cleaning up the book and re-publishing.

I am thinking Steel Enema or Shatter Event as a new title.

Helen

Inkling
When browsing through a book store, how often do you look at a book because of its title?

While most titles are mundane, periodically one stands out and captures the attention of readers. In your estimation, what makes a title great?

It's a billion dollar question and I don't know the answer.

I know I was at the airport yesterday and I picked up a book called BRANDWASHED.

The combination of words just said everything.

That's where I'd start to try and answer that question.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I don't read blurbs, so Title and Cover probably take on a heightened role. I like titles that raise questions in my mind, as Chilari noted above (with Name of the Wind and The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo). The ways in which a title can raise questions are numerous, some more explicit than others. I tend to buy quite a few books from authors I've never heard of, and having an intriguing title certainly helps in that regard. If I'm looking at a book by someone I already know I like, the title is not going to be important to me, I'll buy it regardless.

I like when titles sound interesting, original, and are relevant to the story. Who doesn't like a good title? I mean who wasn't immediately interested with titles like "The Hunger Games" "Lord of the Rings" or "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire"? If Rowling had just gone with "Harry Potter" as her title would anyone had really noticed? I sure wouldn't.

I like this thread a lot, since I have trouble coming up with names for any piece.

I used to judge a book based on the cover art quite often, but then I read somewhere (and I have no idea whether this was true, or still is in the ever-changing world of publishing) that authors, particularly new ones, don't have much control over what art got put on the cover of their books. So now I try to judge a lot less by the cover. If I think the title is catchy, I'll read the blurb. If I think the blurb isn't too standard, I'll open the book to a random page.

Unfortunately, I don't have any set criteria on how to determine whether a title is catchy or not. If it makes me say, 'hmm' or 'cool!' then I'm in - but we all have a different idea of what's cool or intriguing. Hopefully a title workshopping thread will come up soon and be of great benefit to us all.

Addison

Auror
I've found those....great I can't remember what they're called. That thing when the same letter starts words in order. Like..."Victor Varney is very vain." Or like Lockhart's books "Voyages with Vampires", "Break with a Banshee", "Gadding with Ghouls", "Holiday with Hags", "Travels with Trolls", "Year with a Yeti". In a way the title has to be catchy like a song. Sort of like learning to recite shakespeare without putting the class to sleep. So in my opinion it's not what words you choose but how you put them together.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
I've found those....great I can't remember what they're called. That thing when the same letter starts words in order. Like..."Victor Varney is very vain." Or like Lockhart's books "Voyages with Vampires", "Break with a Banshee", "Gadding with Ghouls", "Holiday with Hags", "Travels with Trolls", "Year with a Yeti".

That's called alliteration. :)

Rullenzar

Troubadour
Honestly, when I'm at a bookstore browsing I don't even care about a book title. It's just there for me. I tend to choose my books by authors I enjoy and trust to be good, or if they are in the section I'm drawn to (mystery/fantasy). Subconciously I probably have words that set me off and pick up a book but I don't know them nor do i care to find out. I tend to pick up books and read the backs to decide wether or not I would be interested.

Normally, if it's by an author I enjoy reading I don't even go that far. I just pick it up, give it a glance, and off I go lol.