• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Where do you go to write?

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
When I was working on my first book I practically lived in libraries. They are great places to go and write with few distractions.

I know that other writers prefer to work from coffee houses, home offices or even outdoors.

Where do you go to write?

Amanita

Maester
My desk, at home.
For some reason, I really can't imagine writing in a public place. I always feel like having to keep my eyes on the surrounding there, and this doesn't work while I'm writing. And I'd feel embarassed to sit in the library and not do anything study-related.
I have been doing story research there though but no one could know that it wasn't something I had to do. ;)

Kelise

Maester
Anywhere and everywhere. At home at my iMac. At home anywhere with my mac air or iPad. At work. On my lunch break. On the plane. On holiday.

But out at libraries helps when I have a certain amount due and just need to get 3k down in an hour or two. Not that libraries here are quiet anymore. I want to go write in a Starbucks but I never seem to go when there's a spare seat or power outlet. I can't write outside as I'm so allergic to things I get distracted.

Mostly at home on my iMac, these days. Though writing at work really helps as it has the 'working' feel to it - sometimes I stay back late or go in on weekends just to write.

Ophiucha

Auror
As I am a housewife, I generally write while I am at home. Usually in bed on my laptop, or at my fiance's desktop if he is at work.

Helbrecht

Minstrel
The Moon.

Or if my personal spacecraft needs refueling, my room, my college's library or a coffee shop tends to do.

I do find myself writing more comfortably in the privacy of my own home, though. Might be a minor social anxiety thing - I often struggle to reconcile doing something so personal for me in such an open and public place.

balthore

Scribe
Anywhere and everywhere. Most of the writing I get done now is at home or at work when I have a break in duties. Basically if I have my computer with me, I'll drag it out to write if I have a chance.

But I have been known to scribble down scenes, quotes, or other random ideas about anywhere...napkins at bars, kids menus at restaurants, on church bulletins during the sermon. I've even recorded stuff on my phone while driving by using the voice message recorder.

My house is where I get the most done though. It is where I do my editing and do overs. But I get some of my best, and strangest, ideas when out away from my computer.

My most productive writing is usually done in public. At a coffee shop or some such cafe. Most don't complain as long as you purchase something to drink while you're working

Sezmo

Dreamer
Sitting on my sofa with my laptop on my knee and my dog curled up next to me. It used to be in bed but since getting married and having my own place I prefer the sofa, it's more comfortable for long periods of time.

I need to be alone to do my best work. I have an office, so I will sometimes escape there to write, or in the bedroom. I am finding more and more I need to be where I do not have internet access....umm, like right now.

Sezmo

Dreamer
I am finding more and more I need to be where I do not have internet access....umm, like right now.
Same. Simply disconnecting from the internet isn't good enough because I just reconnect. Being housebound for the past 18 months I've had to find a way around it though. Now I set a timer for 15 minutes, write until that time is up and then allow myself to check forums or whatever for 15 minutes, then back to writing for 15 minutes. It's not ideal but I'll take what I can get.

Kelise

Maester
When I have trouble concentrating, I use 'Write or Die' - fantastic program/site on the web. Then I write for that amount of time and don't look at the net for a single second.

I have only ever written pieces for my novel at home. Not sure why, I guess it's 'cos I'm either there, at college, or trying to squueze in some time for my friends really. I'd love to be able to sit in a coffee shop for a few hours and just write but I doubt I could where I live. For a start, the coffee shops are in short supply and the ones that are here are either overcrowded or are given wide berths for very good reasons. I think writing by a seafront would be awesome too :D

TWErvin2

Auror
I usually write at the computer in the dining room. Sometimes when traveling or away from the computer, I handwrite sections in a spiral notebook.

I started a similar thread today in another forum. I'm a dining room table and living room couch kind of guy. But, my first novel was completed in any number of places. I wrote one of my favorite seens in a journal while atop Mount Pilatus in Switzerland. I wrote a short story in Machu Pichhu. Those are among my more exotic writing locals, but the dining room table does it for me. The chairs and table are just the right height to give me good posture and keep me from an aching back after a long session.

Theankh

Scribe
I write at work. I find when I get home in the evenings, all I want is to get some dinner, watch some TV and relax with my partner. I can't get very motivated. It's better at the weekends when I have a lot of time and I'll write on the couch next to my partner, but we often have plans.

Whereas when I'm at work (I have a desk job) and I'm having a slow day, I find it far easier to scribble out a couple of pages!

Digital_Fey

Troubadour
I almost always write at home, either at my desk in the 'study' or in my room. I also keep a stack of spiral-bound notebooks for times when inspiration strikes and I can't get to the computer, or when I just don't feel like rattling away on a keyboard. I've tried writing in other places - while waiting in the car, or sitting in the library - but find it too distracting for serious writing.

Chilari

Staff
Anywhere I have access to a computer, and some places I don't. If not my own PC, then a campus computer is fine - I either save on my usb drive or use my blog and set the entry to private - or my netbook, or a notebook or even the back of a receipt. I have been known to write on my own skin and half freeze keeping the ink from getting smudged by clothes until I can transcribe it to something more permanent.

But for preference, somewhere fairly quiet and without too many distractions, where I can listen to music (either on my PC or my phone).

I write in my spare room whenever I have the time — I tried writing in bed once but then I read that computers fry your nuts and that was the end of that - I'm quite attached to my bits.:p

I can't write in silence, though — I've spent too many years with my own thoughts and have never learned anything meaningful. Give me a radio and a typewriter/computer and I'm happy as the proverbial Larry.