• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Fantasy games :)

Telcontar

Staff
I play a lot of games. Top 3 won't be easy to narrow down. Hmm.... in no actual order, here we go.

Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
Brilliant RPG that melds steampunk and more typical fantasy tropes. Tech cancels out magick and vice versa. The story was not all that original (I don't remember much of it offhand) but it was well told. It was the world that was fun, and the mechanics (pun intended) of the game. I played through it multiple times.

Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind
I'm a fan of all the Elder Scrolls games, but this has been my favorite so far. The story was great and well-told, and the variety of skills made it feel very diverse. My first time through I role-played a custom character who was kind of like a witchhunter, and the game gave me plenty of opportunities to make me feel like I was actually pursuing that role at the same time as I was following the main storyline. I should also mention how varied the spells were, with lots of travel and 'utility' spells that gave the magic system a much more realistic feel (wow, its ironic to use that word in this context) than most games where all magic is focused on combat.

Birthright: The Gorgon's Alliance
Under-appreciated gem, though it did have a few bugs that made loving it more difficult. It had a great world. Blend of RPG and grand strategy game. You would raise armies and fight battles for the main focus, but you could also take your character and a small band on quests for powerful artifacts. The quests were fun, and some quite challenging. They also put out a couple books set in the world, and both of the ones I've read I love.

Kelise

Maester
Dragon Age Origins. Most of the Final Fantasies - III, VIII, XII are my favourites. Assassins Creed 2 and Brotherhood.

I guess Deadspace and Prototype are more Scifi, hrm. Oh, and Arkham Asylum was excellent, but I don't think that fits into anything.

What would Amnesia fall under? And would we count pokemon as fantasy? ;D I currently can't put down Pokemon Black. It is so much better than any of the recents - which I quite enjoyed too.

LMMFAO! Bry hasn't quit talking about DA2 x.x I haven't played it yet o_O I've been too busy playing Lord of the Rings Online and fighting with the pc to run Dark age of Camelot LOL

@Starconstant Arkham Asylum was excellent. I enjoyed the heck out of that game. I loves me some sneaking around and then beating up clueless people. :)

Not sure it really counts as fantasy, but Bioshock is a fantastic example of worldbuilding in a video game. The level of detail they incorporated is incredible. Valve is also known for that level of detail, in the Half-life and Portal games, and to a somewhat lesser extent, the Left 4 Dead titles.

I've been playing Black Ops online at night when everyone else is asleep and there's no-one to talk to. Not overtly fantasy, but even if your bullets are a foot off the mark your enemy will still fall down dead. That has to be magic.

Apart from that (and ignoring Fable III for obvious reasons) the only other game I've got on the go at the moment is Darksiders. It's not great by any means, but it's enjoyable enough and better than I expected it to be.

I think I left a game off my list >.> My All time Favorite game in the whole world.. The Legend of Dragoon >.< I can play that game over and over.. My old PSX burned gashes in 4 copies of it from my playing it so much LMAO

At the moment... Like Dusk... I play an MMORPG late at night when no one's around... My flavor of choice until I get my hands on WoW >.< LotRO it's actually fun if you have someone to run through the harder quests with... though I do warn you, never go on the cleansing quest the elves get with only two people >.< Me and my sister got our rears handed to us 6 times before we finalyl gave up LMAO

Sezmo

Dreamer
Zelda, Final Fantasy and World of Warcraft are my most played games. Sadly I've become really bored of WoW over the past year and am looking for another MMO to play.

DAoC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sezmo Wow was just a BIG rip off of DAoC but DAoC is EPIC! It's been around 10 years and there's still THOUSANDS of people who play it... Myself included >^.^< It's free to DL the base game and all 6 expansions. DL and Install and Patch time is less than an hour from start to finish. you get a 14 day trial and it's 14.95 a month.. If you decide to play go with the Ywain1 server and Midgard I can help you out if you're on my server and in my realm LOL Look up Mdnightfalling that's my Berserker.. or Mdnightsummoning that's my Bond Dancer >^.^<

I'm currently playing Mass Effect. It's not fantasy, but replace the alien races with orcs and goblins and it might as well be. These kind of games tend to blend together in my imagination anyway. I'm only playing it so I have some idea what the sequel is about, and that in turn will only serve as a timewaster until L.A. Noire, the new Deus Ex game, and Skyrim come along.

Fnord

Troubadour
I've been a role-playing game nut since the original Atari 2600. I played the game "Adventure" over and over and over.

My all-time favorites:

Dragon Warrior I, II, III
Times of Lore
Ultima: Exodus
Shadowgate
The Legend of Zelda series
Might & Magic series
Final Fantasy I and II. (I tried to get into them after that, but I have found I don't care so much for "Japanese" fantasy)
Baldur's Gate I & II
Icewind Dale I & II
Planescape: Torment
Neverwinter Nights I & II
Elder Scrolls: Morrowind and Oblivion
Dragon Age: Origins

MMOs:

Ultima Online
World of Warcraft
Lord of the Rings Online

Some of my favorites are:

Zelda (I like all of them, but right now I'm playing Spirit Tracks on my DS)
Final Fantasy (I'm playing Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fate)

And since I'm an avid Sims fan, one of my new faves is The Sims Medieval. Silly, I know, but hey, I like it. I've been playing the sims since the first one came out.

I Love Play by Post RPG's of the fantasy genre as well.

Blue Wizard

Dreamer
Jak & Daxter: Great action fantasy games, even though I never beat the final boss on J&D II..

Kotor I & II: Two different games by two different companies, but both still the best games I've played.

Freelancer: Even though it was set in space, it was enough of a space opera I count it as fantasy.

Dragonage: Origins, Knights of the Old Republic, and Oblivion are probobly my top faves right now. At least until I play Dragonage 2 and until Skyrim comes out.

Hmm... I've played a lot of fantasy games, it' sort of hard to narrow it down. I think if I was though it would be in this exact order:

1. Dragon Age: Origins
2. Kingdom Hearts 2
3. Knights of the Old Republic 2

However, I do wish to mention some of my others I love to play over and over :)
Icewind Dale 2
Baldurs Gate 2
Diablo 2
Kingdom Hearts
Final Fantasy XII
Dark Alliance I and II

Last edited:

Telcontar

Staff
I recently started another play-through of Neverwinter Nights 2.

I have a lot of problems with the D&D rule setup... but this game moves you along at a nice pace. Good voice-acting for the most part, though it has weak points. Also, I like pretty much any game that ends up giving you command of a castle.

JustSpiffy

Minstrel
Final Fantasy 7 - Probably due to a great deal of bias, being that it was one of my very first RPG experiences.

Dragon age: origins - Just AMAZING, it sucked me into the fantasy world and got me really invested.

Morrowind - This game was my first real experience with something this indepth and sandboxy, I loved it! :)

mudart

Acolyte
Love Torchlight. It's an indy game which is very easy to learn. The graphic style is cartoonish and wonderful. Comes with a mod developer. As I became comfortable with the gameplay, I would create mods to adjust some of the elements I didn't like.

Eliazar

Scribe
My top three:

1. Realms of Arcania (I think that's what it's called... a German RPG based on the "The Dark Eye" P&P RPG which is pretty famous in Germany)
2. Baldur's Gate II
3. Fallout III

I also like the other Baldur's Gate, Oblivion, Fallout NV, and of course Final Fantasy IX. Unfortunately, I never have much time to play these games so most of the time I can't finish (with Baldur's Gate II I was close, but then Edwin disappeared for good somehow, I couldn't get him back and stopped playing heartbroken ;) )