• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Favorite Game of Thrones Characters

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Those who hold this view are actually in the minority I think. Most people praise him without reservation. As for how the books are somehow not bleak and hopeless, I'd love to hear you explain that. Personally, what turned me off from the series was reading the prologue to Game of Thrones. I thought the Others/White Walkers were really cool. I was wondering how the humans would manage to defeat them and was going to get the book to find out more. Then I found out that they never appear again, the books are mostly about politics, and everybody dies. -_- I feel lied to.

They do appear again and not "everyone" dies. You've got characters alive who can still prevail in the end, and I think that satisfies the definition of "hope" quite well.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
Also, the walkers presence will become more and more prominent as the story nears completion.

There are 8 books total in planning. Five have been written.

Fire & Ice... Dragons & White Walkers? That's my guess....

FireBird

Troubadour
"No one will be alive by the last book. In fact, they all die in the fifth. The sixth book will be just a thousand-page description of snow blowing across the graves..."
-George RR Martin

Just to clear this up, this was GRRM making a joke. Everyone does not die in the fifth.

There are 8 books total in planning.

Wait, since when? As far as I know there is only The Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring left.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
Just to clear this up, this was GRRM making a joke. Everyone does not die in the fifth.

Wait, since when? As far as I know there is only The Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring left.

I read somewhere that the plan was for 8 total books. However, the only other titles I've heard are the ones you referenced above so the #8 is probably incorrect.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
From what I understand from interviews and his own blog, there are only two books remaining. I imagine they'll be huge in any case because he has a lot of loose ends to tie up at this point. I believe A Feast for Crows and A Dance of Dragons were separated into two books by the publisher's request. I think the series was originally supposed to be a trilogy but just outgrew itself, which isn't a bad thing.

Personally, I'd love to have seen this: Martin write the series with only the Starks, Targanyans, and Lannisters in the POV chapters. Then if he wanted to go back and revisit the world from the viewpoints of other houses, he could do so with a new series. However, it's his series, so I think whatever he does he does for a reason. I'm hoping we'll all be pleasantly surprised when it's all finished.