• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Hello from Australia

Jess A

Archmage
Hello all,

I found this site on Google - I am writing a novel and every piece of advice helps! I'm an Aussie and I write fiction and non-fiction (journalism, mostly). This forum certainly looks very interesting and I look forward to getting involved.

I hate introductions :p

Sparkie

Auror
Welcome to the forums! We have a few Australian members here (one's a mod, in fact.)

I feel ya on the intro thing, but some introduction threads can be fun. Check out the one titled 'hello I feel undernamed' if you want a moments entertainment.

Reaver

Staff
Welcome Little Storm Cloud! Australia is my favorite place outside of my own country. It's a beautiful, beautiful place.:D You guys are awesome! I look forward to seeing your contributions to this very cool website!

Jess A

Archmage

Sparkie: I actually did read that thread by 'Tim'. Definitely amusing!

Reaver: It is a very beautiful place. I have seen a lot of it, and yet I haven't seen much at all! I can claim to have been so many places in Australia and yet so few. It is as vast as it is fascinating. I have also been to America, but not to Washington. Mostly Iowa, California, Minnesota. A beautiful place with beautiful people!

Last edited:

Reaver

Staff
Hey Cloud--if you're ever headed this way again, look me up, I'll give you the VIP tour of Washington.:)

Jess A

Archmage
Reaver: Absolutely! I am always game for a local's perspective :)

Ness: Thank you :) You are a sub-editor, right? I do a bit of journalism. You must have an interesting job!

Hmm. I believe those are fireworks outside...

Jess A

Archmage
I will certainly give a tour of my city too!

Myrddin - It is not cheap to come here, this I know! Few visit Perth (in Western Australia) because we are so distant and it costs so much to fly here. I would equally love to visit Connecticut. I have never been to the eastern states of the USA.

Reaver - Absolutely :) It is a matter of money at the moment. I've been overseas twice this year and once last year. Twice to the US/Canada and once to China. My funds are a bit low. But I have every intention of returning to the US because I have close friends there and it is a lovely country.

Hello Cloud,

Never been to the East coast :eek: Shameful... I grew up in the mid west. However I now reside near DC. You MUST come visit DC there is nothing more awe inspiring than looking at old musty papers that founded a country despite all odds! I'm happy to give you the tour. :)

Lets see my grandfather was here for three weeks and I covered 50% of what I had wanted to... so plan to do some laundry while in town ;)

At any rate nice to meet you, post something for us soon.
~BL~

Jess A

Archmage
Hi there, Blue Lotus!

Hehe yes. I have friends in Iowa, and I transit through Los Angeles - which is why I have been to Los Angeles and San Diego. I have also flown from Canada to Minnesota and we have driven up to Minnesota a few times. I really must return to the USA and visit the east coast.

Tours are always welcome :) We can all meet up - a bunch of creative souls is not always a bad thing ;)

Perhaps when a good topic comes to mind! I have joined in on some conversations with my two cents so far.

Thanks again for the welcomes!

Ness

Dreamer
Ooh I only just saw you replied to me. Yep I am a sub. Good job most of the time! I like working in the media industry, it's always fascinating! What sort of journalism do you do?

Jess A

Archmage
Ooh I only just saw you replied to me. Yep I am a sub. Good job most of the time! I like working in the media industry, it's always fascinating! What sort of journalism do you do?

:) I try to reply to everybody. Forums are a weird way of communication so they take getting used to.

What newspaper do you write for? I understand if it is private for personal information reasons.

I am currently a student, but I have had a few things published and also write for my own personal pleasure. I have done general news, science, opinion and travel. I hope to become a science journalist and move into documentary, perhaps doing travel, science/nature and culture (etc), but I will be happy doing hard news journalism for a while as well. And writing novels!

What about you? You're a sub-editor, but you would have a background in journalism, right?

Ness

Dreamer
Sounds like you are building up a nice resume! Science journalist would be interesting, I have never met one of those!
I work for a large regional Fairfax paper. I actually have never been a journo, I was hired as a sub, and editing is where my heart is. I did study journalism/ communications at Uni though, but I'm not gusty enough to be a journo! :)

Jess A

Archmage
Sounds like you are building up a nice resume! Science journalist would be interesting, I have never met one of those!
I work for a large regional Fairfax paper. I actually have never been a journo, I was hired as a sub, and editing is where my heart is. I did study journalism/ communications at Uni though, but I'm not gusty enough to be a journo! :)

:) Gutsy! I ponder that about myself as well. I manage a business and I am a fairly direct person, but journalism does require a special kind of courage - I suspect I shall learn if I have it when I am fully immersed in the job. I think editing would be a great job. I like editing things, although I am not perfect either. S*** no. ;)