• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Mythic Scribes Thread of Cooking!

Chilari

Staff
I am super hungry right now. I've been dieting for 11 days and eaten mostly quite simple things. I've had noodle soup a couple of times - Heinz tomato soup with noodles in them (an old student recipe of mine) and I bulk cooked some chicken stir fry with onions, spring onions, peas, pine nuts and chicken last week which lasted me three meals. I've had a couple of chicken, lettuce and cucumber sandwiches too. And boy am I ever sick of it. I want brie, I want bacon, I want satay beef with egg fried rice from the Chinese. I want garlic chibatta. Carbonara. Chocolate.

Can anyone suggest some simple, preferably vegetarian meals (or at least involving some sort of lean meat, no bacon at the very least), that I could have a go at? I'm a bit fussy with some veg, but fine with carrots, peas, onions, spring onions, sweetcorn, minicorn, mangetout, potatoes and most beans (just not runner). Don't eat seafood of any shade. I need something simple to cook, healthy and tasty. Or is that one of those "pick two" things?

In return I will post my no-bake lemon cheese cake later on. It is delicious. Seriously. I made one for the office Christmas/charity buffet lunch in December and it was the first dessert to be completely eaten.

Last edited:

Jess A

Archmage
Can anyone suggest some simple, preferably vegetarian meals (or at least involving some sort of lean meat, no bacon at the very least), that I could have a go at? I'm a bit fussy with some veg, but fine with carrots, peas, onions, spring onions, sweetcorn, minicorn, mangetout, potatoes and most beans (just not runner). Don't eat seafood of any shade. I need something simple to cook, healthy and tasty. Or is that one of those "pick two" things?

You could make roast potato (maybe roast pumpkin and carrot if you fancy). This fills me up. And with it, you can put some boiled corn, peas, carrots etc. I often steam asparagus, cauliflower, broccoli or broccolini to eat with the roast veg. To roast the veg I cut them up, then soften them in the microwave first. After, I brush with olive oil and put salt, pepper and some herbs. You can really use whatever you like. Add a nice steamed corn, or mini corns.

Stuffed potatoes are great, too, and very easy. You don't have to use cheese (I couldn't go without). You can add your favourite vegetables and some salsa dip or tomato-based stuff. Peppers are good fillers.

Something my mum makes sometimes is roast potato with tomato, onion and zucchini/eggplant - in the oven. The tomato she uses is normally just whole tinned tomatoes. She cuts the potato up, softens it, then tosses it into a baking dish with the tomatoes all over it, cut up onions, and whatever else (can add whatever you like, really).

Another option is a Rogan Josh curry with the mentioned veg. Mushrooms and potatoes will fill you up if added. I make it in bulk and freeze portions.

Course, you can just make a salad with all of that stuff and eat it with lean meat!

Xaysai

Inkling
Making baked macaroni and cheese casserole tonight with 3-cheese chicken sausage + breadcrumbs on top.

Woo-hoo!

Saigonnus

Auror
I used to make stuffed potato skins a long while ago... like a taste of heaven. I used a similar recipe at home (I did it myself without a recipe) but I also put sauteed mushrooms in the center, under the cheese. :)

Potato Skins Recipe
INGREDIENTS
• 6 small to medium sized russet baking potatoes (total 3 pounds)
• Olive oil
• Canola oil or grapeseed oil
• Kosher salt
• Freshly ground pepper
• 6 strips of bacon
• 4 ounces grated cheddar cheese
• 1/2 cup sour cream
• 2 green onions, thinly sliced, including the greens of the onions
METHOD
1 Scrub the potatoes clean then bake the potatoes using your favorite method, either oven or microwave. If using an oven, rub with olive oil and bake in a 400°F oven for about an hour until the potatoes are cooked through and give a little when pressed. If using a microwave, rub all over with olive oil and cook on the high setting for about 5 minutes per potato. I have found that baking the potatoes in a conventional oven yields potatoes that are easier to work with (cut and scoop out), the potato seems to adhere to the skins a little better, but there is hardly a discernible difference in the final product.
2 While the potatoes are cooking, cook the bacon strips in a frying pan on medium low heat for 10 to 15 minutes, or until crisp. Drain on paper towels. Let cool. Crumble.
3 Remove the potatoes from the oven and let cool enough to handle. Cut in half horizontally. Use a spoon to carefully scoop out the insides, reserving the scooped potatoes for another use, leaving about 1/4 of an inch of potato on the skin.
Increase the heat of the oven to 450°F. Brush or rub grapeseed oil or canola oil (or another high smoke point oil) all over the potato skins, outside and in. Sprinkle with salt. Place on a baking rack in a roasting pan (don't use a cookie sheet, it will warp, use a roasting pan or broiler pan that can take the heat). Cook for 10 minutes on one side, then flip the skins over and cook for another 10 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool enough to handle.
4 Arrange the potato skins skin-side down on the roasting pan or rack. Sprinkle the insides with freshly ground black pepper, cheddar cheese, and crumbled bacon. Return to the oven. Broil for an additional 2 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly. Remove from oven. Use tongs to place skins on a serving plate. Add a dollop of sour cream to each skin, sprinkle with green onions.

FatCat

Maester
Don't know if this counts as cooking, but double-brewed coffee is amazing; and simple! If you have the standard Mr. Coffee machine, simply brew a light batch, then pour the coffee into the water reservoir. Add a stronger amount of grinds atop those already in the filter, and brew again. The result is a super-rich coffee that has a pretty strong cocoa flavor. Try it!

Tonight I am making baked ziti with breadsticks.

Also, since Olive Garden makes my favorite salads, I am going to recreate it with olive Garden Salad Dressing and the the same ingredients OG puts in their salad.

What do you like to cook?

:eek: :hungry: gahhhhhhh, baked ziti sounds sooooo goooooood -_-

CURSE YOU

(...do I have to say I don't literally mean, "curse you", but rather was bemoaning the thought of yummy baked ziti when I am presently famished and blaming Xaysai for that particular predicament (although not maliciously! (how many parentheses do you think I will open before I'm done? (parentheses in general are rather interesting, specifically how we use brackets in math to differentiate between parentheses ( braces can also be used...)))))
PS I always like a parenthesis!

Last edited:
Don't know if this counts as cooking, but double-brewed coffee is amazing; and simple! If you have the standard Mr. Coffee machine, simply brew a light batch, then pour the coffee into the water reservoir. Add a stronger amount of grinds atop those already in the filter, and brew again. The result is a super-rich coffee that has a pretty strong cocoa flavor. Try it!

...Seriously? What's a "stronger amount"? Just a coating? Twice as much? Half again as much?

(As you can tell, I'm someone that seriously needs more coffee in his life).

Last edited:

Nihal

Vala

Here our coffee is already strong enough. *grins*

Phietadix

Auror
:eek: :hungry: gahhhhhhh, baked ziti sounds sooooo goooooood -_-

CURSE YOU

(...do I have to say I don't literally mean, "curse you", but rather was bemoaning the thought of yummy baked ziti when I am presently famished and blaming Xaysai for that particular predicament (although not maliciously! (how many parentheses do you think I will open before I'm done? (parentheses in general are rather interesting, specifically how we use brackets in math to differentiate between parentheses ( braces can also be used...)))))
PS I always like a parenthesis!

Wow! I thought I overused parenthesis. Sorry off topic.

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Guess what...

I got my little electric stove two days ago and it's very nice, painted black with wooden parts, and it really packs a lot of heating power. I have already used it for the first time to cook a delicious spaghetti, and very soon I will try some lentils soup, rice and even my traditional stove popcorn!!

It looks like I will be saving a lot of money from now on =)

FatCat

Maester
...Seriously? What's a "stronger amount"? Just a coating? Twice as much? Half again as much?

(As you can tell, I'm someone that seriously needs more coffee in his life).

To be honest usually I just do the standard amount you usually use for both brews, but my brother suggested using a lighter portion for the first brew.

Last edited:
To be honest usually I just do the standard amount you usually use for both brews, but my brother suggested using a lighter portion for the first brew.
Thank you! Can't wait to try it out (probably won't try a lighter portion...)

Aside: Diggin' the new avatar cat.

Yeah my brother is a crazy person.

-_- ended up not going through with it. Unfortunately, I'm currently in a one coffeemaker only household and further research has implied that my coffeemaker may get the lines gunked up if not-water is added to the reservoir. As soon as I get an extra coffee maker for my office though...

Nihal

Vala
-_- ended up not going through with it. Unfortunately, I'm currently in a one coffeemaker only household and further research has implied that my coffeemaker may get the lines gunked up if not-water is added to the reservoir. As soon as I get an extra coffee maker for my office though...

You could look for one of these and do it in the old way:
coador-de-cafe-nylon-102.jpg

6351-34.jpg

Nihal

Vala
I have no idea of what it is called in English. It's only a support where you can put the filter. You're going to boil the water and make the coffee yourself, but you won't have to worry about ruining the machine.