• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What do you listen to?

Bangladeath

Acolyte
I listen to pretty much everything except for current country music. I seem to have settled on indie alternative music as of late though. M83 really chills me out while writing. xD

Nagash

Sage
I've been digging up some classic WoW and Warcraft soundtrack these days... And this - well known - melody was immensely inspiring for my current novel "The King's Demise". Rather fitting...

Dazzlingly beautiful, is it not ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ddruid

Minstrel
I'm excited for Demonic Resurrection's upcoming album, 'The Demon King'. I have a lot of respect for Demonic Resurrection, the pioneers of Indian metal who paved the way for extreme metal music in India. The Indian metal industry is still small and growing but if it weren't for those guys, it might have never been.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
My music obsession of the moment is Two Steps From Hell's "Archangel" album. This is apparently in a genre called "trailer music" as in movie and book trailers, and I can understand why. I was turned on to it by a friend's game video, when he used a piece off this called "Strength of a Thousand Men," but the whole thing is awesome.

Noma Galway

Archmage
No matter what I'm doing nowadays, I'm listening to the GoT soundtrack. It goes surprisingly well with chemistry homework, but I find it easy to write to.

Here it is :) Seasons 1-3

Addison

Auror
Thanks to a classmate I've discovered a great rock band. It's odd for me to use the word great as I don't particularly enjoy rock music. Yet I've found the band DOWN to be pretty cool.

As for the instrumental inspiration for fantasy, or just to get my imagination fired up, I have to go with Future World Music. Especially "Flight of the Imagination." If I could get the actual video to post, I would. All I can do is provide the link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KknvmCOBbp8

Enjoy!

Arranah

Troubadour
What I listen to depends on what I'm writing. If I'm writing a sex scene I tune into classic country. With country, everyone is talking about "doing it" with someone they shouldn't love or long for or have the hots for or have been burned by. I was raised on honky-tonk and someone-done-me-wrong music. In my recently completed novel my female protagonist ran into a guy she'd had an illicit affair with years earlier. Now, they were both single, so I tuned into country oldies, from Diamond Rio to Charlie Rich. Whenever they did the deed, I found some country song and listened while I wrote the scenes. If my character is troubled, pissed off, etc. and wants to mellow out, I tune into what I call New Age classical, like Herb Ernst, Deuter and Bernward Koch. Rock jars me out of myself. Since I like being inside of me, I haven't listened to it for a long time. Ballads have great appeal. I have a country girl's soul.

acapes

Sage
Really enjoying Dir En Grey at the moment - diverse fellows. This one is probably one of the hookier tracks they've done over the years:

hunter830

Dreamer
I've grown to like a fairly eclectic set of music, most things from certain Black Metal to Electronica. If I'm writing though I usually stick to stuff like Two Steps from Hell, Future World Music, or occasionally things like The Glitch Mob.

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
This is an excellent version of the English folklore song Scarborough Fair, which is one of my all-time personal favorites:

[video=youtube_share;wiZJP_XLmrQ]http://youtu.be/wiZJP_XLmrQ[/video]

A Celtic Woman presentation, performed by their newest member Hayley Westenra =)

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Today I am listening to La Oreja de Van Gogh, a Spanish band that I used to like a lot many years ago.

I don't like them so much anymore, but after listening to their song París I have decided to share some links to their videos here in the Music thread. To start, this is a fan-made video with pictures that I loved:

[video=youtube_share;KUCx6jBL0CA]http://youtu.be/KUCx6jBL0CA[/video]

I hope that you will like their music =)

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Nice! I'm showing this to my six-year-old, who plays this on piano. (Just the first verse — beginner book.)
This is an excellent version of the English folklore song Scarborough Fair, which is one of my all-time personal favorites:

[video=youtube_share;wiZJP_XLmrQ]http://youtu.be/wiZJP_XLmrQ[/video]

A Celtic Woman presentation, performed by their newest member Hayley Westenra =)

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Every once in a while, stuff happens while I'm listening to a song, and as a result, the song is forever associated with the stuff that happened.

So for me, this is the I-Saw-a-Bear Song!