• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What do you listen to?

Scribble

Archmage
Some old 80's music by the Smiths, great songwriting. The first concert I went to on my own, at about 13. We weren't allowed to go, but we couldn't miss it. I was grounded for some time, but worth it :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Jtn46

Dreamer
I listen to post-hardcore, some metal, metalcore, pop punk. A lot of stuff. When I'm writing I'll listen to a lot of instrumental OSTs on Pandora.

Myth Stalker

I love Death Metal. it can be savage and brutal as well as ridiculously complex. Examples Six feet Under, Dying Fetus and Bloodbath. And then there's Opeth and Reciprocal.

Quillstine

Troubadour
I go to pandora and let the music wizards decide what I should listen to. Mostly it is classical, indie or singer/songwriter. Occasionally I go for movie soundtracks. When I start to right, I don't really pay attention to what is playing, so long as there is background noise!

Here is a question for you all...do you find what you are listening to effects how you write?

FatCat

Maester

A lot of metal fans here, maybe this isn't the most modern metal but I dig it, hope you guys do as well.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
This reminds me:

Moshic is an Israeli DJ playing progressive house. The above "video" is a mix set of about 70 minutes. It's all modern electronic dance music, but the selection is such that it has a very middle-east/arab feel to it.
If you have even a mild or lukewarm interest in dance music, it's well worth checking out.

Seems to be in all the adverts and films at the moment, but I was introduced to him when I was still at school: Ludovico Einaudi. His Nightbook album is so atmospheric! Great background music because it's all instrumental, and great for writing dark scenes in the woods ...

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
I was going to listen to The Birthday Massacre today, but then it was pointed out that it was December 1st and I had to listen to Christmas music or it would upset the order of things.

Here goes:

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
On the surface, the music of this Norwegian singer sounds pretty much like your average everyday chart pop. But, if you pay attention you'll notice that her lyrics often take a turn towards the darker, more twisted, sides of things.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Me again. I'm having a good day at work (actually, for reals actual serious - super cereal) and then this track pops up:
This is piece of music for epic and heroic deeds of valor, faith and justice - and all that. :)

Good mood: ON

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
...and now for something completely different.
Okay then, I admit, it's another electronic misdeed. Still, it's pretty cool - at least for a while.

JRFLynn

Sage
Generally, I love most things except rap and death metal.

Here's of a few of my fav artists I listen to when writing:

The Birthday Massacre
Armin Van Buuren
The Moon & the Night Spirit
Mind.in.a.box
Corvus Corax
Estampie
Two Steps From Hell
The Chieftains
Razed in Black
Theatre of Tragedy
Sirenia
Apocalyptica
Annwn
Arcana

*Basically, anything with a synthetic/folk/soundtrack sound that "takes me there".