• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What do you listen to?

Oh dear. Pretty much everything other than Country, Rap, and Pop (though I don't mind the occasional BritPop).
I mostly listen to soundtracks and scores for movies, along with a lot of Two Steps From Hell.
If I'm in the right mood for it, I will listen to dubstep (anywhere from trance to Skrillex).
I also listen to a lot of Owl City, Imagine Dragons, etc.
And of course, music from the 50s, 60s, 70s, and 80s.
I listen to some slower rock bands like Athlete also.

So, as I said, pretty much everything but Country, Rap, and Pop.

Ddruid

Minstrel
So, as I said, pretty much everything but Country, Rap, and Pop.

How about metal? Eh? Do you listen to metal?

Anywas, I've just recently begun listening to Blind Guardian and their music is blowing me away. Can't believe these guys are almost as old as Iron Maiden and I haven't even heard of them till now!

Also planning to listen to more Swallow the Sun. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

teacup

Auror
Yes Ddruid! Love me some Blind Guardian.

Anyway, everyone should listen to this. This is now my favorite song. It is just excellent.

Scribble

Archmage
I am fairly eclectic.

On Friday nights when I am chilling I might put on Jamaican Dance Hall, Reggae, find some Indie music. I like Songza for this quite a lot. I collect songs I like when playing Songza and throw them on my mp3 player.

There are a few newer artists I quite like, Feist Feist - I Feel It All - YouTube, Bat For Lashes (this one has a fantasy feel ) Bat For Lashes - 01 - Glass (Two Suns) With Lyrics - YouTube

I often listen to instrumental rock, right now I am loving a Japanese band Mono Mono - Pure as Snow (Trails of the Winter Storm) - YouTube

I also like my 80's music: The Cure, The Clash, The Smiths, Joy Division, The Cramps. I like punk, post-punk, grrl punk.This L7 tune is an earworm: L7 - Fast and frightening - YouTube (Warning - it's a little rude ;) )

I often play world music to explore new sounds. I particularly like Arabic music, Indian Bansuri Flute Raga Shivranjani on Bansuri (Indian Bamboo Flute) - YouTube

I'll listen to alternative rock radio in the car, sometimes jazz Charles Mingus - Groove!, blues, classical. Beethoven's 9th gets a lot of play.

I like me some old surfer rock, like Dick Dale: Dick Dale - Bandito - YouTube

Last edited:

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Some people come down on Paramaecium because they were a Christian band. Not sure why that matters. If you can find a better intro to a doom album, I'd like to hear it. And it moves right into a great song as well.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Currently listening to this girl:

The mood of her music is close to the mood I'm going for with parts of story I'm writing at the moment.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Hard to beat Bal-Sagoth for melodramatic, fantasy-inspired metal. Good stuff :)

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
At the moment I'm looking for something that is a bit dateless so I'm listening to a lot of drumming.
The video seems very quiet... the CD I have is not...

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
The radio.
I'm out back in the courtyard behind the pub I live above. They've got a new soundsystem installed and it's playing "what a wonderful world" or something like that. The sun shines so bright I may have to bring out the sunscreen - which is rare in Ireland - and there's barely anyone else here. Now if I could just get around to start on that scene.

Now it's another song. No idea what is is. It's not particularly good, but it's the kind of song you'd hear once every two hours if you can bothered listenting to radio all day.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Double post...
I can access my wifi from here, but it's really dodgy so pages take forever to load.

It's a new song now.

Last edited:

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
We listen to a wide variety of rock and pop and movie soundtracks while writing, but lately Korean pop music has played a prominent role in story development, strangely enough.

This one inspired our introducing old gods into our urban fantasy story line. Don't worry too much about the lyrics - the translations don't make too much sense, anyway. lol We originally envisioned 5 sons of a demon being claimed by their father when they turned 17, but as we tossed the idea around we realized that it wasn't a demon at all - it was a god from the First Age, returned to the mortal realm.

And this one reminds us of one of those sons and his love interest.
BIGBANG - MONSTER M/V - YouTube

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Erasure is one of the favorite bands from my teenage years. This track is from one of their less successful albums. It's more thoughtful and introvert and a bit less poppy than their more well known songs.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Walked into work this morning and this track came on and it was glorious. It fit really well with the morning; the sun peeking over the horizon, the empty street, the blue sky. Great fit.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Whether you like the song or not, you have to admit the guy has nice vocal range and staying power :)

Steerpike

Felis amatus
From the same CD, and this one tells a bit of a fantasy story in its lyrics.