• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

what should be the next big fantasy movie or show?

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Martin the Warrior is one of the cartoons, along with Redwall and Mattimeo. I have all three of them on tape.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
If Pixar did Redwall, they'd change it beyond recognition, and it would be full of one-liners and innuedno-based jokes to appeal to adults while mystifying children.

I think Dreamworks does the innuendo and one-liners way more than Pixar. I just saw Brave, for instance, and I can't think of any one liners coming away. They're much more serious about their storytelling than Dreamworks - not that there's necessarily anything wrong with Dreamwork's style. Shrek was great, and it was filled with one-liners.

As for changing it, has Pixar even done a movie that wasn't conceived in-house?

Jess A

Archmage
Martin the Warrior is one of the cartoons, along with Redwall and Mattimeo. I have all three of them on tape.

Yeah I saw in Wikipedia before when I checked. I will have to track Martin the Warrior and Mattimeo down.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I can't even imagine what Malazan would look like. It would be nearly impossible to do I think. You'd have to have a massive, massive budget. I think it would be cool as maybe a cartoon, then you could get away with a lot of problems with CGI and all. And suffice to say most people would be pretty confused by it I'd imagine. I'm a big Malazan fan, but I don't know what's happening half of the time. :)

I'd love to see the First Law series put onto screen.

Amen. Stop butchering authors' hard work to fit in into a 2 1/2 hour block. I truly wish screen writers would come up with some ideas of their own instead of just swiping someone's hard work for a few bucks and making a travesty that convinces people that the book must be just as bad so they never read it.

Screenwriters come up with plenty of their own ideas. It's the gigantic risk-averse movie studios that won't take a chance on them (too big a gamble).

Telcontar

Staff
I would love to see a movie based on the Dragonriders of Pern franchise. Plenty there to play with.

Elder Scrolls would be neat, but I'm of the opinion that most attempts would fail on that one. Same for Warcraft (or Starcraft, of Diablo). Blizzard should just do a really long CGI cutscene and call it a movie...

I would love to see a movie based on the Dragonriders of Pern franchise. Plenty there to play with.

Elder Scrolls would be neat, but I'm of the opinion that most attempts would fail on that one. Same for Warcraft (or Starcraft, of Diablo). Blizzard should just do a really long CGI cutscene and call it a movie...

Well, I hope the reason that any WoW movie is taking so long is because they're really working hard on getting the story and characters solid before they ever put pen to paper, so to speak. Diablo III's story was not particularly interesting and the main story dialogue was fairly cliché, so I hope they aren't letting Chris Metzen write it. :)

David

Morrowind would provide the perfect setting for a great fantasy movie though! The plot of the game is pretty intricate, so some serious adapting would be required. But what a landscape! Cyrodiil could also prove a good location, though they would have to change the plot there because playing that was boring enough! :)

lovecow

Acolyte
i would love to see The Belgariad made into a T.V. show.
We all got books that mean alot to us and this would be mine.
David Eddings may have copied his own stories, but what stories to copy :redcarded: :)

Jess A

Archmage
Another childhood favourite of mine was Robin Jarvis' Deptford Mice series along with some of his other books. I would like to see that as a TV show, though it would have to follow the book art to impress me. I loved the way the animals were drawn - some were hideous!

I watched the first episode. It was, uh... well, the production values were good, but it came off as goofy and extremely clichéd. I love fantasy but I wasn't interested in watching more.