• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Your Top 10 Favorite Shows Of All Time?

1. Black Books.
2. Father Ted.
3. Farscape.
4. Afterlife
5. Red Dwarf.
6. The IT Crowd.
7. How Do You Want Me?
8. The Monocled Mutineer.
9. Blackadder.
10. The Mighty Boosh.

Apart from 3, 4 and 8 they're all comedies (some more comedic than others). I hadn't realised I watched so little drama on TV. I also noticed while making the list that only two are still on air, The IT Crowd and The Mighty Boosh. Shows how much TV I watch. Still, as it's an 'all-time' list I suppose I can be forgiven.

1. Black Books.
2. Father Ted.
3. Farscape.
4. Afterlife
5. Red Dwarf.
6. The IT Crowd.
7. How Do You Want Me?
8. The Monocled Mutineer.
9. Blackadder.
10. The Mighty Boosh.

Hah! How could I forget Red Dwarf and the IT Crowd! Add that and Monty Python's Flying Circus to mine. >.<
I don't tend to watch much television. Waaay after the fact, my husband will talk me into watching something he liked well enough to get a dvd set of, and I'll get to see it. I can get sucked into Animal Planet or the National Geographic Channel now and then. Oh oh! Battlestar Galactica was nifty. Spaced, too.

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
Father Ted is a classic, and Red Dwarf was amazing in it's prime. I never saw the more recent seasons, though, and heard that they were disappointing.

Juiceman

Scribe
That actually sounds interesting. Are animals believed to be more sensitive to the paranormal than humans?

Yes. They are much more sensitive to what is deemed paranormal. While I never noticed our animals reacting in odd ways, I cannot say that they never experienced anything.

The Haunted does not focus on the effect on pets, but they do include that as part of the story. I guess it's their way of keeping with the channel's theme while providing a form of popular entertainment.

Hah! How could I forget Red Dwarf and the IT Crowd!
The IT Crowd's probably my current favourite. It never fails to make me laugh.:D

Father Ted is a classic, and Red Dwarf was amazing in it's prime. I never saw the more recent seasons, though, and heard that they were disappointing.
The final two episodes of Red Dwarf were truly dismal. I think the cast should've let the series rest in peace when the BBC dropped it. Resurrecting it on a minority channel devoted solely to showing repeats was never going to end well.:(

My List of Favs are in no particular order. Though I do like the Star Trek series(es) I liked TNG and Voyager the most. I never got into Enterprise or Deep Space 9. There are some episodes of the Original Series that I like, but as a whole - not my fav.

1) Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Firefly, and Dollhouse - I'm a Joss Weadon fan - so I put all his shows together.
2) Charmed
3) Xena
4) Warehouse 13
5) NCIS
6) Being Ericka
7) Eureka
8) The IT Crowd
9) The Vicar of Dibly
10) Battlestar Galatica

Last edited:

Ravana

Istar
I was tempted to make the list:

1: Babylon 5
2: everything else

But I realized that wasn't actually fair (or true), so I revised it to:

2: <this space intentionally left blank>
3: Doctor Who
4: Twilight Zone
5: everything else

That's based on a combination of quality and entertainment value (and, yes, I'm quite familiar with first-series Doctor Who, but used the word "quality" anyway ;) ). I'd be disingenuous if I didn't acknowledge that Star Trek (most versions), Max Headroom and Outer Limits didn't hold significant positions in my heart… and which of us, at least of those who were around then, didn't love Dark Shadows back when it was first on? (For the last of these, I couldn't possibly justify using "quality" in the same sentence; didn't keep it from being cool as all get-out.) I even dug Tekwar, which few people were even aware of and most, as far as I can tell, didn't care for. But for me there remains a huge gap between my top three and everything else I've seen, so I'll stick with the list I've got.

Last edited by a moderator:
In no particular order Id have to say my favorites are

Mythbusters
House
Castle
Firefly
Leverage
Star Trek (Not counting DS9 or Enterprise)
Battlestar Galactica 2003 remake
Deadwood
Robin Hood BBC version
Daria

Kind of a wide swath there, I guess. I remember when Voyager was still producing new episodes I refused to have anything to do with it because the ship wasn't the Enterprise, lol. I swore up and down that it couldn't be Star Trek without the Enterprise. Most of these I never watched when they actually ran on TV, now that I think of it. Most of them I've caught on Hulu or DVD since they went off the air.

I have never even seen it listed on my program guide. Although Mythbusters has gotten less obviously scientific over time. It now seems to focus more on finding an excuse to blow an object to kingdom come. One of the reasons I got into the show was the weird and fascinating things they would build from scratch, and that, too, seems to be going the way of the dinosaur in favor of having 'professionals' build large amounts of the projects for them. Just my opinion, but an unfortunate example of the ways shows tend to degenerate over time.

Behelit

Troubadour
1. Red Dwarf
2. Law & Order
3. Mythbusters
4. Dexter

5. X-Files
6. Tales from the Crypt

Okay, I can't think of any more. I'm a HUGE Red Dwarf fan, that deserves about 2-3 slots anyways. Dexter was very enjoyable until the 5th season, think it took a nose dive in quality of writing. X-Files I really enjoyed when it aired on Fox but I haven't seen it since then so I'm not sure how much of a fan I am. I forgot about Tales from the Crypt even though I own three seasons, good in all of it's campy glory.

Last edited:

Kelise

Maester
My top ten would have to be... oh, this is hard. Uhm. Okay, in no specific order, since they're all my favourites depending on my current mood...

01. Doctor Who
02. Castle
03. Firefly
04. Battlestar Galactica
05. Outnumbered
06. Sherlock (BBC)
07. QI
08. House MD
09. Farscape
10. Black Books

Special mention to Top Gear, IT Crowd, Dollhouse, Dexter, How I Met Your Mother, Leverage, Hustle, White Collar, Futurama, Chuck (not really watching anymore, but used to be good, Fringe, LOST, Merlin, Supernatural, The Walking Dead, Misfits... and I should probably leave it there before it becomes obvious I don't have a social life.

Last edited:

Labochur

Acolyte
There aren't that many TV shows that I actually like. I have a number that I watch but most of them I don't necessarily find to be obsessive or anything like that. That being said:
Merlin
Chase
Hawaii Five-O
NCIS LA
CSI
and of course my all time favorite...(Drum Roll Please)...Eureka!
and maybe a couple of others that I can't think of right now. Clearly I have an interest in forensics and crime stuff though I would like to see more fantasy and science fiction on TV

Ravana

Istar
Hey, don't diss the William Hartnell era!

Hee hee. Actually, I meant everything from Hartnell through McCoy… eventually the boom shots went away, and they did re-takes when someone blew a line, but let's face it, the show remained "low-budget" (often, low-budget with a vengeance) throughout its initial, 26-year run. The thing was, you didn't care. Which, to me, is a far greater indicator of quality than slick production work. Not that I'm complaining about that being changed in the present run, mind you.…

Last edited by a moderator:

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
My Top Ten favorites may be greatly divergent from others here. In no particular order:

1. Full House
2. Metalocalypse
3. Oz
4. He-Man and the Masters of the Universe
5. Laguna Beach
6. Beavis and Butthead
7. Hercules/Xena (they are interchangeable for me)
8. South Park
9. Berserk (anime series)
10. Roseanne

Some shows I'd to see but haven't yet for whatever reason:

Red Dwarf, The Wire, Game of Thrones (when it starts), The Walking Dead, Korgoth of Barbaria (I want more of this actually, they only made one episode) et al.

Behelit

Troubadour
My Top Ten favorites may be greatly divergent from others here. In no particular order:

1. Full House
2. Metalocalypse
3. Oz
4. He-Man and the Masters of the Universe
5. Laguna Beach
6. Beavis and Butthead
7. Hercules/Xena (they are interchangeable for me)
8. South Park
9. Berserk (anime series)
10. Roseanne

Some shows I'd to see but haven't yet for whatever reason:

Red Dwarf, The Wire, Game of Thrones (when it starts), The Walking Dead, Korgoth of Barbaria (I want more of this actually, they only made one episode) et al.

That is quite an interesting list, eclectic to say the least.

I loved Berserk, easily, EASILY the greatest Fantasy anime/manga ART and STORY. For an anime to get me to buy some of the most expensive cover price manga available, that has to say something.

Do not waste anymore time, watch Red Dwarf. The Walking Dead was good too, at least the first two episodes that I saw.

Last edited:

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I recently posted a blog about my top 5 anime of all time according to me. Berserk was number 5. I ranked Record of Lodoss War slightly higher because I'm a Dungeons and Dragons dork. But honestly I can go either way.

I'll try to find some Red Dwarf online.

The thing was, you didn't care. Which, to me, is a far greater indicator of quality than slick production work.
Exactly. I have to admit my interest dipped when McCoy arrived, rose slightly when Paul McGann did the TV movie (he was in the Monocled Mutineer and thus always registers on my radar), and dipped again when it was rebranded. The old writers of the 60s and 70s were quite subversive in their political views, something sadly lacking in the current incarnation. Having said that, 'Blink' is still a worthy addition to the canon. I just wish the days of wrapping someone in bubblewrap and painting them green weren't entirely gone.:D

Kate

Troubadour
I'm always watching some series or other, but as far as absolute favourites go, I'm not sure there are 10.

Buffy and Firefly are there absolutely. I wonder if Firelfly had been around longer, might it have become my #1 favourite over Buffy?

I adore Mad Men, but I think it dropped off a bit in the last season.

TNG would be up there. The only Star Trek that I actively love, rather than just watch,

I loved Northern Exposure back in the day, and recently watched it again on DVD. Still keeps a special place in my heart, so it rates.

Carnivale was amazing, but the ending SUCKED. I think that had more to do with the pending axe drop.

Dr Who, though I was a late comer to the modern incarnation.

True Blood hit a spot with me too.

That's about it.