• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

GoT Season Five [NO SPOILERS, PLEASE]

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Season Five begins today! Please use this thread to discuss the show.

Fellow readers, please resist the urge to compare the show to the books or speculate on future episodes. There's another thread for that.

Fans of the show, only click on this thread if you've seen the latest episode. Any show that has aired is up for discussion. I never catch the 9:00 showing, so I will stay clear of this thread from 9-11 on Sunday nights.

As of 10:00 EST (or 9:something if you'd like), feel free to post reactions to episode 1!

SeverinR

Vala
Kind of a slow season opener, but when you end on such a climax, its hard to have a great opener.

I think Stanis showed himself again, to be a poor leader. I also think John showed he is a good and compassionate leader.
I think the burning scene shows the good, the heartless and the evil of those observers.

The package that is Tyrion arrives, a little worse for wear, but it did arrive in one piece.

Dany is troubled with establishing a just and fair society and has to deal with insurgents.

Reaver

Staff
I bought the first season on Blu-Ray because of this trailer, but turns out that the show isn't funny at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

SeverinR

Vala
I don't understand why Littlefinger wasted the lives of 3-5 of his men on trying to prevent Brienne from leaving. If they died getting rid of her, that would be one thing.

I think Dany could have went either way on the death sentence. Proclaim: "for preventing justice from being obstructed by the killing of a suspect, the sentence is death."
She could have also shown mercy by also adding: "This man didn't understand the concept of justice, but in the future, I will not be so quick to show mercy. Justice applies to all."

SeverinR

Vala
1.Snow Crow had no choice but to take the head.
2.The Queens traitor bagged an imp out of season.
3.The King's mother talks to the sparrows.
4.The king bags his queen.
5.The hypocrit high cleric has his tilly smacked, cries to the King's mother and finds a vacation in the red cells.

SeverinR

Vala
I think the beheading showed the difference between Stannis and Snow.
Stannis wants everyone to fear him, Jon just has to have people respect him.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
That was my favorite scene from the book. And it was so much better in the book, in fact. Jon's manner of execution—doing the job himself—was a lesson learned from Dear Ol' Dad in book/season 1. My description can't do justice, and since this scene has now happened in the show, I feel like it's perfectly legal to throw in a quote from the book.

In a spoiler tag.

“If the boy thinks that he can frighten me, he is mistaken,” they heard Lord Janos said. “He would not dare to hang me. Janos Slynt has friends, important friends, you’ll see …” The wind whipped away the rest of his words.

This is wrong, Jon thought. “Stop.”

Emmett turned back, frowning. “My lord?”

“I will not hang him,” said Jon. “Bring him here.”

“Oh, Seven save us,” he heard Bowen Marsh cry out.

The smile that Lord Janos Slynt smiled then had all the sweetness of rancid butter. Until Jon said, “Edd, fetch me a block,” and unsheathed Longclaw.

By the time a suitable chopping block was found, Lord Janos had retreated into the winch cage, but Iron Emmett went in after him and dragged him out. “No,” Slynt cried, as Emmett half-shoved and half-pulled him across the yard. “Unhand me … you cannot … when Tywin Lannister hears of this, you will all rue—”

Emmett kicked his legs out from under him. Dolorous Edd planted a foot on his back to keep him on his knees as Emmett shoved the block beneath his head. “This will go easier if you stay still,” Jon Snow promised him. “Move to avoid the cut, and you will still die, but your dying will be uglier. Stretch out your neck, my lord.” The pale morning sunlight ran up and down his blade as Jon clasped the hilt of the bastard sword with both hands and raised it high. “If you have any last words, now is the time to speak them,” he said, expecting one last curse.

Janos Slynt twisted his neck around to stare up at him. “Please, my lord. Mercy. I’ll … I’ll go, I will, I …”

No, thought Jon. You closed that door. Longclaw descended.

“Can I have his boots?” asked Owen the Oaf, as Janos Slynt’s head went rolling across the muddy ground. “They’re almost new, those boots. Lined with fur.”

Jon glanced back at Stannis. For an instant their eyes met. Then the king nodded and went back inside his tower.”

Excerpt From: George R. R. Martin. “A Dance With Dragons.” Bantam Books

SeverinR

Vala
Last edited:

SeverinR

Vala
Season 5 seems to be alittle slow so far.
I still like it, but I find I'm doing other things while its on and not rivoted to it like in the past.

SeverinR

Vala
Seemed better last night. But then again my favorites were on. (Arya and Tyrion.)

One question, did Arya poison the girl or did the girl die from her condition?

I was wondering how Tyrion would get to meet Dragon momma if the slavers got them. But leave it to the half man lord.

Little Finger is going to have to deal with an angry broken dove when he returns.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Ozzy Man's review for episode 6 is up. I was wondering if he'd be as disappointed as I was in this episode…

[LINK - WARNING: Lotso F-Bombs]