• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

GoT vs. ASoIaF [SPOILER-FEST]

Ophiucha

Auror
Oh good, gratuitous rape.

Other than that unnecessary and upsetting scene, and yet another heavily whitewashed city on Dany's journey, last night's episode was okay. Puts everything in motion for the rest of the season although not much of interest happened. I feel like our episode 9 climax will be about Stannis, since we're setting up the impending attack of the wildlings and his need of an army now. That should take enough time to resolve to be a good end game climax. I feel like Tyrion's escape (and other things) will be before that for the sake of pacing, although that could also be a good e9 plot as well.

I'm most curious to see when Lady Stoneheart will be introduced. It could be good for the final episode, one last hook to get people back for s5. But given how much they are pulling from the later books already, I wonder if they might do it earlier and perhaps even go ahead to Brienne's encounter with her as a season cap. Particularly if Tyrion escapes early.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
I'm hoping Brienne's encounter is this season, but if she's a major player in book 6 (that's me being hopeful), it would make more sense to have Lady Stoneheart as a season 4 ender and Brienne's Feast of Crows wild goose chase and encounter with Jaime in season 5. I mean IF she'll have lots to do in season 6.

I can appreciate timelines being changed so actors don't end up taking seasons off. When avoidable, that is. The Mountain being out of the picture was unavoidable, but they did good keeping Theon in the story.

I wasn't big on pretty-boy Dario taking on the Merenese challenger. I didn't want to see a fat guy take a dump on a corpse, but I like Strong Belwas, the goofy bastard. (Or was it Brown Ben Plumm? I know it was a fat guy!)

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
I wasn't big on pretty-boy Dario taking on the Merenese challenger. I didn't want to see a fat guy take a dump on a corpse, but I like Strong Belwas, the goofy bastard. (Or was it Brown Ben Plumm? I know it was a fat guy!)

It was Strong Belwas.

As to Brienne, I strongly suspect her last appearance this season will be her getting hanged.

Tyrion should be across the Narrow Sea, possibly captured by Mormont.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Ah… finally, there is no such thing as a spoiler from ASoIaF! I just finished A Dance with Dragons!

I'm still a bit surprised to see Strong Belwas didn't make the cut in GoT. I think of him as a major character in Dany's story, and he's VERY different from Dario. I was glad to see Belwas survive book 5… and I don't think I'd care if Dario ends up dead. I might even take a bit of pleasure in his demise. I was rooting for him in book 3, but he's become a human obstacle in 5. Seeing him wink as he played Belwas' part in the show actually made me want to see that character die… not that I'm holding that against the actor. I think he played Dario as I see him. I already hated him in the book before the last episode aired.

Of course, the way book 5 ends, Dario's one of many on the May-Be-About-to-Die list, and among the less important half. Come book 6, I won't be thinking about Dario.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Of course, the way book 5 ends, Dario's one of many on the May-Be-About-to-Die list, and among the less important half. Come book 6, I won't be thinking about Dario.

No, you be wondering about the big battles shaping up for book 6.

Does Stannis live or die? For that matter, does his whole damn army starve to death...or freeze to death first?

There is a spoiler 'Theon' Chapter, but it illuminates nothing.

Winterfell is a powder-keg set to blow. Will the factions gathered there destroy Stannis - or each other?

And meanwhile, who's in charge at the Wall? Not Jon, not at the moment.

Then across the world and way down south, we have another monumental mess brewing in the slave cities. My guess is the slavers army is about to get stomped flat...hopefully Tyron won't be stomped flat along with them. And does Dany get back in time to do any good? I figure there's a good chance one of her dragons will get stolen.

There is a Tyron spoiler chapter, but apparently you need some sort of weird cell phone plan to access it. First line (all I saw) indicates a battle in progress.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
^Nice contribution to the "Spoiler-Fest!"

Ramsey's B-S'ing by starting his letter with truth, then going into a lie. Of course, only the reader can be (fairly) sure it's a lie since Ramsey would have his Reek and bride back if he found Stannis.

I doubt Stannis fell to the weather, but of course, the next book could reveal that to be the case.

For minor characters, I'm rooting for Penny to somehow survive this. For major characters, I'm hoping Brienne has good reason for her lie to Jaime and I'd like to see Strong Belwas strong again (even if being strong means he'll die in a battle). For main characters, I think Jon and Dany will make it. I think "Robert Strong" will win the battle trial, but I'd like to think keeping his face hidden will (eventually) arouse suspicion. Whether this will be of consequence to Cersei; whether she'll be out of the sparrows' reach by the time they discover her champion is not a living person… well, I have no expectations.

Looking forward to book 6, and enjoying the show in the meantime.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Lots of folks are already highly suspicious of 'Ser Robert Strong', as the epilogue attests to.

Yes, I'm rooting for Penny to survive.

I expect the fleet of Volantis to mutiny in favor of Dany. When that happens, Volantis itself will go up in flames shortly afterwards. That fleet lets Dany and her army cross the narrow sea - after they sack a city for provisions.

I figure Jon will survive, and ride a dragon, at least in spirit (the animal possession thing). Bran might give him a hand there.

I did come across speculation on another site as to how Stannis could tromp his attackers: he's camped out near a pair of lakes, and armored knights on horseback weigh far more than men afoot.

I figure Arya assassinates Cersei (Iron Bank of Bravos working hand in glove with the Faceless Men).

I expect the Wall will come tumbling down.

I have doubts the dragons will still live at the series end. Might be an egg or three tucked away somewhere, though.

One thing I noticed long ago and still wonder about: every single one of the likely candidates for the Iron Throne has a flaw that would render them or their descendants ineligible to sit upon it:

Stannis has one heir, a sickly daughter.

Cersei's children are the result of incest, and the cat is well and truly out of the bag there.

Roberts trueborn offspring are all bastards. Would anybody accept the smith as king?

Dany may be unable to bear children, and major acceptance issues. Plus, when you look back, she's left behind a trail of burning cities wherever she's gone.

Aegon the Imposters number one man is dying, and his army is composed of sell swords.

And Jon, IF he is the real Aegon, has the small issues of proving his claim AND his vow to the Nights Watch. Magic is back, and magic lies behind that vow. Breaking it = really bad idea.

I am wondering if the series ends with the introduction of some sort of Magna Carta or parliamentary system.

Ophiucha

Auror
I imagine it will end with the kingdoms splitting up again, maybe not quite into seven pieces but three or four at least, and with the sort of ending that implies that they'll go through this whole rigmarole of a power struggle again in a few years. Winterfell would be the new powerhouse, with Jon Snow or perhaps Sansa's husband on the throne, but with one of those endings where you know that Spring will bring a new war. Maybe Margaery? Her house is all flowers and growing, and if she finally consummates a marriage at the end of a series, she could have a child king to rule behind by the time winter is gone.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Maybe Margaery? Her house is all flowers and growing, and if she finally consummates a marriage at the end of a series, she could have a child king to rule behind by the time winter is gone.

Hmmm...if the Wall falls, that might break the Night Watch Oath. If Jon gets acknowledged as Aegon, then a marriage to Margaery might be the best way to keep things unified - one from the north, and one from the south. That's a lot of 'if's', though. At this rate Margaery is going to have the rep as the most desirable black widow of them all: three marriages, widowed within minutes twice - and still a virgin.

At this point, the Lannisters are out of people competent enough to take the throne, and the other houses also have issues with suitable heirs.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
That's what I'm hoping not to see: Jon vs. Dany. Jon vs. jerk or Dany vs. jerk means I know what to root for. Jon vs. Dany is lose-lose.

And, no, I'm not ruling that out or saying it would ruin the series for me. War is tragic.

kayd_mon

Sage
Ugh. Too many theories... If I remember any of these when book 6 comes out, and they turn out to be right, it will spoil the whole thing for me. I should have known better than to click on a spoiler fest! I'm out of this thread.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Oh, that's right. Rickon gets his brother's old piggy-back-pack, so he's sitting on Hodor while Hodor's on the Iron Throne.

That explain how the poor kid loses half a buttock to one of the swords. That's the third-saddest scene in book 7, by the way. Just reading the spoiler made me weepy. Those Starks are always losing heads or asses.

Ophiucha

Auror
Excuse me, it clearly is going to end with Margaery and Sansa getting married and being on the Iron Throne. They're just going to raise Rickon as their heir, obviously.

So, last night's episode.

Umm.

I think they skipped ahead of the books? Also, there goes Brienne, so we may see Lady Stoneheart soon after all.