• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

GoT Season Five [NO SPOILERS, PLEASE]

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
I'm glad it's working for you. For me, the House of Black and White and Jorah-Tyrion are working. I do honestly think Brienne's plot is a good change, and hopefully, she'll make me appreciate where the Sansa plot is going.

As far as Sansa's fate goes, I'm trying to justify it being her because Sansa's the girl you watched grow up, and Jeyne Poole is just another unfortunate soul in GRRM's world.

(Apology for book-vs-film comparison here—in the book, Ramsey marries Jeyne Poole, a girl posing as Arya Stark. Sansa never gets into this mess in the book.)

Still, I didn't care for that scene. It was an immersion-breaker for me, because of course it's just Sansa in Jeyne Poole's role. So I was more disappointed than anything else.

The Sand Snakes plot is silly, though. It's like last season when Lady Greyjoy took on Ramsey—major characters clanging swords but none die. I mean, they're fun, but they come off as something like a fan fic where a fan wants to write a What-If-These-Characters-Meet? scenario.

My wife was afraid someone would die, but I just sat back like meh. They'll all live. Of course, I also didn't expect a major character to die in Episode 4, so… who knows? I just hope Bronn wasn't fatally poisoned by that spear tip.

Mindfire

Istar
Littlefinger knew exactly what was going to happen to Sansa. Has he ever not calculated the realistic outcome?

Showrunners have said that in this particular instance, Littlefinger was ignorant of the situation and didn't plan on Ramsay being a full-blown psycho.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
Even the best schemers are only as good as their gathered intelligence. And in the show, Ramsay's appetite for cruelty is not well known. Or so the reasoning goes.
Maybe, but I'm skeptical. It seems like everyone knows everything about everyone else when it comes to lords, ladies, & their offspring.
I'm not buying that Ramsay is the exception, or that Littlefinger is oblivious.

Mindfire

Istar
Maybe, but I'm skeptical. It seems like everyone knows everything about everyone else when it comes to lords, ladies, & their offspring.
I'm not buying that Ramsay is the exception, or that Littlefinger is oblivious.

Well, be that as it may, Word of God has spoken. So it's the official explanation.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Well, regardless of how I felt about episode 6's ending, I'm looking forward to episode 7.

I'll FINALLY be watching GoT in HD! My 62" box from 1993 finally died. I was hoping it would last a little longer, but I guess Hannah (age 2.6) understands she's not to charge the new TV like a bull. I just got a 60" 1080p, which was much cheaper than it would've been had I bought it before the 4K TVs were out.

I'm only assuming the 4K thing is new. I still have a crapy flip phone, though, so what do I know about technology?

Last edited:

SeverinR

Vala
Watched "The gift" last night. (Love HBO on demand)
The gift? Bronn got a gift of life, Sansa got a gift of death, Dragon momma got a gift, category to be determined later, possibly two gifts. Cercei got the gift of 'turn about'.

Interesting twist Bronn sings for the Sand snakes and it saves his life. Not sure where they are going with it, but they are nice to look at.
Sansa continues to have the men in her life give her dead people mounted on poles or spikes. Guys, please, if in doubt, chocolates or flowers are the way to a woman's heart. Maybe an expensive bauble or jewelry? But, dead people aren't unless your girl is a vampire or demon spawn.

Jon? Did he get a gift?

Sam got a good gift, but was painful to earn. He would have never gotten the gift if Jon didn't give Sam the gift of ghost. Sam got his dagger dipped.

One problem, Jon is going into the north, Ghosts natural habitat, an area with a lot of different dangers, and he leaves his personal companion behind?

I too, find it hard to believe anyone hasn't heard of Ramsey's appetite, he didn't seem to hide it outside of Winterhell. Servants talk, when screams of torture echo in the castles walls, many servants will hear.

In the side story here,
What will become of the tech starved Legendary sidekick fostering the minotaur's offspring? I might suggest not visiting a china shop in the near future.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
You forgot the biggest gift.

Lady Olenna received a gift of information from Littlefinger. That being, the knowledge of Cersei's affair with her cousin Lancel Lannister, now a servant of the seven.

Mindfire

Istar
Thrones watchers also received a gift. The gift of sweet, sweet justice. The fall of the House of Lannister begins now. (Well, technically it began when Joffrey died but whatever.)

SeverinR

Vala
You forgot the biggest gift.

Lady Olenna received a gift of information from Littlefinger. That being, the knowledge of Cersei's affair with her cousin Lancel Lannister, now a servant of the seven.
I remember them talking but didn't catch that. Must have left during that time. That's who it was that got Cersei arrested. People who live in grass houses, shouldn't stow thrones, even more thones made of swords.

Thrones watchers also received a gift. The gift of sweet, sweet justice. The fall of the House of Lannister begins now. (Well, technically it began when Joffrey died but whatever.)
They've been falling apart since Joffrey became king, it is snowballing though.

Tommin, alone on the throne. Wife and mother in jail together. Cersei's words telling him to do nothing are now backfiring.
It will be interesting to see what an unprepared king will do when no one he trusts is there to advise him.
Wife, mother in jail, both Uncles in a foreign country,(one accused of killing his brother and grandfather.)
Wouldn't Lady Olenna be the closest person he could trust?

SeverinR

Vala
Hard home;
Sansa finds out that her brothers are alive, giving her a reason to survive her hard home.
Arya seems to be fitting in well with her hardhome.
Cercei isn't fairing well in her hardhome...:)
Tyrion and Dany sipping wine seemed normal.
John gets a large group to go with him. The rest stay are killed and raised to join the White walkers army.

IMHO the White walkers appear to be to powerful. Only Dragon glass and valyrian steel will kill one, both are in short supply.
When in battle with the wights, they can instantly call up the dead to rise again. So why wait? As the battle progresses, call up the dead. Very hard to face a dead friend and kill them again.
I assume there will be another Kryptonite found. Since the white walkers could send the millions of dead up the wall and raise the dead again when they fail. Once past the wall, they simply wade through the people add to their army and move on.
The army that never dies, the army that doesn't eat. Just attacks, dies, rises up again and kills more, to add to their army.

Dragon glass and Valyrian steel don't matter if they can't wade through the mass of dead to get to a walker. So the three dragons are the only hope for the world. Burn the dead all at once so they won't rise again, and bite or claw the walkers to kill them.
But the dragons are currently immature and untrained, and no one is trying to teach them.

Not sure why the army of undead couldn't just walk on the bottom of the ocean after the boats? They don't breathe. Water can't kill them, because some of the dead were in the water when he raised them.

SeverinR

Vala
Disclaimer: I have not watched last nights show, will watch tonight probably.
I saw a story about it .
"Did Game of Thrones go to far?"
Sansa's rape seems to be small potatoes compared to last nights show.
As far as the story goes, the sacrifice to the fire God is not surprising. But in doing so, I don't believe anyone will be loyal to Stannis. That he would do that to his own family.
I've never thought Stannis was a good king, but this sealed it. Much like Reek's mistakes.

So to answer the question of the news story.
I don't think they went to far. It shows the evil of men, the evil of pursuit of power, and what lengths people will go to achieve it. Like most characters in GOT, I never thought her character was to be killed off in such a way.
I don't see how Davos will be able to continue serving Stannis.

The reason people are upset, they killed a handicapped child, that harmed no one. You don't kill the dog and you don't kill an innocent child, even worse a handicapped innocent child.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Last night's show was especially frustrating to a reader. When something is good-different from the book, you enjoy it. When something is bad-different, you're pulled out of the story asking WTF were they thinking when they wrote this crap? Did HBO just fire all the GoT editors because the show is so wildly successful?