• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

March Motivation Thread

Chilari

Staff
Just when I actually have motivation to plan/write, I don't have time!

Isn't it always that way? Pain in the rear end. When I was a student, the point at which I was most interested in writing of all the four years I was at university was the April of my Masters year when I was meant to be working on my final, biggest assignments for the spring semester modules and planning my dissertation. One 7,000 word assignment (ceramic archaeology, lots of science), one 5,000 word assignment (examining excavations at Corinth to illustrate the history of archaeology in Greece in the last century), due a week apart, and a dissertation outline due a week after that, lectures and seminars still ongoing, and all I wanted to do was write. It didn't end well for the story, but I managed to salvage my assignments and get acceptable grades.

Then when I was unemployed for 4 months after I graduated, I wrote about 300 words in total.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I've been "semi-employed" since about September, meaning I've been doing part-time jobs and private lessons. I start back working full-time this April. I'd say I finished a great deal of work since then, but if I'm being honest, I think I've finished about the same amount when I was working full-time. So I don't know if that's good or bad because I've basically stayed the same level of productivity even when I'm not working as much.

I'm not positive of that, but I think being semi-employed has helped me get a routine in any case. Hopefully that sticks when I go back to working full-time again.

Chilari

Staff
I have just completed the seventh consecutive hour-long (ish) writing session, thus achieving half of my goal to do two of those. Yay! I wonder if I can do both without a gap. Time will tell!

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
I reached my goal of finishing chapter 8, which I split into two to make it 8 and 9. I also feel like I achieved the goal of writing twice a day during my week off, which is something I had doubts about at first.
Before the end of the month I hope to have finished the Wake-up-and-have-a-hangover scene and the Breakfast scene for day 4 of my story. This might be a bit tight, but it should be doable. The main threat to reaching the goal is the imminent release of Diablo III, but I really should be able to pull it off as long as I do an hour a day.

Aspasia

Sage
DONE with my 1st goal : my two projects are completely planned out :D . Hoping to find time to write those 1k words sometime soon. Sadly the scifi project is going to be neglected ... maybe some other month. I've just not been feeling the scifi stuff -- probably because I'm on break! I'll get back to it after Camp is over probably.

I'm really proud of myself for finishing planning before NaNo starts :). Now I'm ready. Hopefully this will kick-start me into writing more every day!

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Will there be an April Motivation Thread as well? I've come up with a goal for April that I'd like to try and go for. It's a slight expansion on this months goal: Spend one hour writing six days a week and one hour reading and commenting on things in the Showcase forum on the seventh day.

And Nano begins!
Caged, since we are both fairly well off in the first draft department, shall we make it a word count duel?
Revised work only?
Let me know.
~BL~