• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The worst movie ever...

Jabrosky

Banned
Without a doubt my most hated movie of all time is Precious. It may have been critically very popular, but the extremely racist stereotypes (Precious's mother being the worst offender) sickened me so much that I couldn't bear to watch the whole thing. In fact, the very fact that so many Americans loved the film tells me how little our nation has progressed on racial issues.

I also hate The Dark Knight with a passion. I don't care what his fanboys claim, Heath Ledger couldn't act to save his life.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I haven't seen Precious, but with Oprah Winfrey and Tyler Perry as executive producers, it seems hard to believe the claims of racism. I've read a bit about the debate of it, and I think this woman (who is black, if it matters) has the best view of things (taken from an NY Times article, where she responds to NY Times chief movie critic Armond White):

But Latoya Peterson, the editor of Racialicious.com, a blog about the intersection of race and popular culture, said Mr. White was off base.

“His review buys into the narrative that there can only be one acceptable presentation of black life,” Ms. Peterson said. “He’s flattening the black experience, and in that way, he denies our humanity.”

Jabrosky

Banned
I haven't seen Precious, but with Oprah Winfrey and Tyler Perry as executive producers, it seems hard to believe the claims of racism.

Sorry, but I've met way too many black people with racist opinions of their own people to buy that it isn't possible to be racist and disown yourself from a race you technically belong to yourself.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Sorry, but I've met way too many black people with racist opinions of their own people to buy that it isn't possible to be racist and disown yourself from a race you technically belong to yourself.

That might be true, but something tells me Winfrey isn't among those. And you have to admit, it smacks of a certain degree of racism, or at least quite condescending patronizing, for blacks to make a movie only to have a lot of white people come running over saying "oh, you can't make it that way!" It's like saying these stupid black people can't even represent their own race properly and need whitey to come in and save the day by telling them how to do it.

And I also agree with the comment from the person in the NY Times in that there is no one right way to present people of any race. People are so varied that no matter what the representation, you could probably find a real life example to support it. The mistake lies in promoting the idea that all members of a given race are somehow the same, no matter which direction you approach it from.

Jabrosky

Banned
That might be true, but something tells me Winfrey isn't among those. And you have to admit, it smacks of a certain degree of racism, or at least quite condescending patronizing, for blacks to make a movie only to have a lot of white people come running over saying "oh, you can't make it that way!" It's like saying these stupid black people can't even represent their own race properly and need whitey to come in and save the day by telling them how to do it.

So you think it's OK for black people to profit off white people's prejudices by endorsing racist stereotypes? Simply because some white people have the decency to object to racism, regardless of who presents it, doesn't make them patronizing.

Suppose a black person were to say, "I hate n*ggers" (and yes, I have actually seen black people call other black people "n*ggers" multiple times). If a white person were to stand up to their racism, is said white person really being patronizing by speaking on behalf of other black people?

And I also agree with the comment from the person in the NY Times in that there is no one right way to present people of any race. People are so varied that no matter what the representation, you could probably find a real life example to support it. The mistake lies in promoting the idea that all members of a given race are somehow the same, no matter which direction you approach it from.

Of course there are many different kinds of black people, but the problem is that Precious utilized common stereotypes large numbers of white people already hold about African-Americans. It would be far better for black people to be represented in a way that doesn't exploit such stereotypes.

Last edited:

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
Okay.. So time for another movie... I'll have to pull out my big guns to defray the racism... Let's see...

By a clear mile, the most disappointing movie I've ever seen was one late netflix night. I love werewolf movies, and in my search list, there were only three I hadn't seen, so I selected the one that didn't look like a cheap tacky horror movie, and ended up wanting to poke out my eyes an hour later.

Wolves of Kromer is NOT a werewolf movie. It is some sort of moral tale about homosexuality, I guess, because all I can remember is two 20-ish guys like hiking through the woods with big bushy tails sewn to the backs of their trousers. And then they make out a short time later. Now I'm pretty forgiving of movies with strange plots as long as they entertain me, but this was anything but entertaining. I wanted to watch people get ripped apart, and what I got was something indescribably bad... and sort of creepy.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
Actually I have another: Doomsday.

So Scotland gets a disease that turns people into zombies or something, and they put up a wall that shoots lasers so no one can go in or out.

Then, 25 years or something later, when it breaks out in London, a team of people go through the wall to find a cure, because there were survivors of the disease.

The worst part is, when they get there, the survivors are split into two tribes; the post-apocolyptic, ultra-violent punk kind of people; and some other people who have completely reverted to the Middle Ages, wielding swords and donning chain mail.

REALLY? Are you kidding me?

So after doing a bunch of useless shit strung thinly together in some sort of questionable plotline, they escape in A BENTLEY!! (that must have been just loaded with fuel stabilizer, because it was still in it's shipping crate and there weren't any gas stations around).

USELESS pretty much sums up this movie.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
Got another one: Sexy Beast.

Could a plot get thinner? I usually love heist films but this one left me wanting to punch someone in the head. If I ever had need to torture someone, I'd just sit them in a dark room with this movie playing on a loop.

Jabrosky

Banned
Tarentino's "Inglourious Basterds". A talented psychopaths cinematic art or a sick film for sick minds.
Stuart of Ely.
It was definitely unpleasantly sick in parts, but what really annoyed me about that movie was how sparsely scattered the action actually was. 90% of the movie was boring dialogue.

ArielFingolfin

Troubadour
Jurassic Park 3. Or The Day the Earth Stood Still.

If only Mystery Science Theater was still around then maybe there would be a hope of redeeming them.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
The Day the Earth Stood Still is a classic! (well, the classic version is; not the updated crap)

Klaatu berada nikto! Not only the command words for the robot, but also the demon-resurrection words from Evil Dead 2 (another classic!).

Steerpike

Felis amatus
So you think it's OK for black people to profit off white people's prejudices by endorsing racist stereotypes? Simply because some white people have the decency to object to racism, regardless of who presents it, doesn't make them patronizing.

No, I think you see racism behind every tree and rock, whether it exists or not. And I think you yourself employ a form of racism, more subtle than a white sheet but nevertheless racist, where you set yourself up as superior to blacks such that you are able to tell them what is and is not an acceptable representation for them to make of their own race. I think the idea that you yourself hold racist viewpoints and feel that blacks need a person like you to 'save' them is underscored by your repeated association of evil and/or ugly races in fantasy literature with blacks, as evidenced by other threads here on the site. It is clear that the association occurs in your mind, whereas in the mind of most an orc is just an orc.

soulless

Troubadour
I would have to choose Twi-sh**e 2: Poo Moon, or whatever it's called :). I watched the first and just thought it was slightly passable but nowhere near deserving of the hype. Watch the second one, as I'd watched the first and prefer to continue watching a whole series through to the end.... I almost stopped half way but forced myself to watch the end and still couldn't figure out a plot, seriously did anything actually happen in this film? was the plot from the novel cut out completely? On this rare occasion I have not watched the next films in the series as I already want two hours of my life back and don't want to lose another 6.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I would have to choose Twi-sh**e 2: Poo Moon, or whatever it's called :).

I have not seen that one. I saw the first one in the theater a bunch of times because my daughter kept wanting to go. By the time the most recent ones have come out, my daughter lost interest in the movies and even if she hadn't she'd rather go with her friends now.

The least popular movie I've ever watched all the way through is Soul Survivors, but it's also the least predictable movie I've ever seen, so I couldn't help but find it oddly compelling. I'd actually recommend it if you're in the mood to either stop thinking, or start thinking really fast. ("So she's dreaming? No, she's awake. Was that really a ghost, or was it a hallucination? Is that guy dead? No, he's alive--okay, now he's definitely dead.")

I forget the title of the worst movie I ever started to watch, but I remember the advertising--something about a criminal who steals someone's identity at random, then discovers he's impersonating an even more wanted criminal. I lasted a scene and a half.

The movie I least enjoyed watching was Let the Right One In, but that might have been the point of the movie. (I went into it having heard it described as a touching romance by people who I now think completely misunderstood Eli's character.)

Oh, the bad movies I've seen...

And Manos: Hands of Fate. The movie was so bad I think the director killed himself afterwards. Tragic, but the movie was so bad that they actually made the Mystery Science Theater: 3000 movie off of it.

I was trying to think of where I heard of this movie when I finally remembered. Two characters are arguing about the worst movie ever made, then one makes the other see Manos: Hands of Fate. He immediately agrees haha

Chilari

Staff
There is one occasion I have walked out of the cinema: when I went to see the remake of Miami Vice. It was dull, the characters were uninteresting, the actors mumbled so badly I couldn't tell what they were syaing most of the time, and if there was action I have forgotten it.

I also came very close to walking out of Immortals last year, and stayed only so I could write an article about how it was Hollywood trading on Greek names after the success of Clash of the Titans, without actually using the Greek legend it's meant to be based on. Also the hats were laughably stupid*, the whole thing seems to be made to look more brown for the same of appearing to be gritty, and the whole thing was really just a bad story masquerading as Greek myth. Of the two hugely hyped things that came out on that day (11.11.11) that I was aware of, Skyrim was definitely the better. (If anyone is interested in reading my article about it, in which I have toned down my dislike to the movie to try to be fair and balanced, feel free to PM me and I'll send you a link)

The next closest I came to leaving was the film of the Hulk - the first one in the last decade with the comic-book-panel split screen, not the better one that came out a few years later. Can't remember the plot but I think it's fairly evident, I just remember how annoying the split screen gimmick was. I couldn't watch all panels at once and often couldn't tell which was meant to be the most important (sometimes it was the biggest, other times the smallest, sometimes left, other times right). It was stupid and I'm glad they made a new version pretty soon afterwards which more recently is seen as a precursor for the very awesome indeed Avengers film. LOVED that.

*seriously, just do a google image search for "immortals hats" and enjoy.