• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Worst 5 Movies of All Time

OGone

Troubadour
10,000 BC (2008).
Boring... stupid...

House of the Dead (2003).
We bought this on box-office and admittedly it was so hilariously bad me and my friend sat there laughing a long time after the end credits had rolled.

The Fourth Kind (2009).
Went to cinema and fell asleep.

The Happening (2008).

Last spot was hard. Could've gone to a handful of Nicholas Cage movies.

Monsters (2010).
Awful film again demonstrating critics get a wet one over indie films they probably haven't even watched. It had absolutely amazing reviews which made the fact it was a total slough to survive through even worse. A film where nothing and I mean NOTHING happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't call The Phantom Menace the worst movie, but I would call it the biggest fall from grace/disappointment/worst prequel.

As for bad films I found Spaceballs to be lame, weak, and only vaguely amusing in how awful it was.

Starship Troopers was also hilariously crap, one of those films you come away from thinking "oh dear".

One of the Escapes, I can't remember if it was L.A. or New York, I didn't even stay in the room much longer than 25 minutes.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I liked Starship Troopers. Of course, it was meant to be satirical and funny, not serious. Escape From NY wasn't bad. Escape From LA was terrible.

Chilari

Staff
Could've gone to a handful of Nicholas Cage movies.

So true. I was visiting friends at the weekend and we watched both Ghostrider movies and got horrifically drunk (well, I got tipsy, I never drink much, but the others got plastered). The next morning afternoon, my friend Ben asked "was it just the alcohol, or was the second one really awful?" I told him it really was that bad. While we were watching I kept picking on things that were stupid (we all did, but I was worst; we always do this on drunk movie nights), and he kept replying "because **** you, that's why" (he was so drunk) but in truth, there weren't any explanations in the movie that were better. It wasn't even consistent with the first one. It was just terrible.

OGone

Troubadour
Starship Troopers was also hilariously crap, one of those films you come away from thinking "oh dear".

I really liked Starship Troopers haha. It's exactly what it's meant to be, I think. It is a real marmite flick though, either like it or hate it. Can't say the same about the sequels...

So true. I was visiting friends at the weekend and we watched both Ghostrider movies and got horrifically drunk (well, I got tipsy, I never drink much, but the others got plastered). The next morning afternoon, my friend Ben asked "was it just the alcohol, or was the second one really awful?" I told him it really was that bad. While we were watching I kept picking on things that were stupid (we all did, but I was worst; we always do this on drunk movie nights), and he kept replying "because **** you, that's why" (he was so drunk) but in truth, there weren't any explanations in the movie that were better. It wasn't even consistent with the first one. It was just terrible.

First Ghostrider was absolutely awful and Nicholas Cage, as an actor, is simply not intimidating or cool at all and should not be portrayed as this ultimate badass that most of his roles are meant to be. I never even watched the second Ghostrider and really don't want to - I wasn't a big fan of the comics anyway. I don't dislike the man personally, I just think he's awful as an actor.

Actually, I don't even know if it's him or just the fact he only appears in awful films.

The absolute epitome of his awfulness was The Wickerman in which I think he may punch or roundhouse kick about six different women. The video below is from a horror film :confused:

Edit: He was good in Kick-Ass though.

Last edited by a moderator:

tlbodine

Troubadour
Man, Starship Troopers is one of my favorite movies of all time. Somehow, I don't own it, but every time I catch it on TV, I have to watch it. I once called into work because Starship Troopers was on TV and I didn't want to leave without finishing it.

The Ghostrider movies were really terrible, though. Especially the second one, which made absolutely no sense in addition to all of its other (numerous) flaws. Also 10,000 BC incites a strange level of rage in me. Once I get started there, I can't stop.

Oh, another awful movie. The 2011 Conan the Barbarian.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Any film in the last 10 years with the word "Transformers" in the title. I have regrettably seen two of them but I'm willing to assign the rest without viewing...

Chilari

Staff
Yeah, the Transformers movies were big-budget rubbish. But that's what you get when Michael Bay directs. Explosions and special effects and no substance.

ALB2012

Maester
I agree with transformers and the remake of War of the Worlds. There was a snow white adaptation as well, but not sure which (Not Mirror Mirror I liked that.) The elf "army" they recruited looked like the local larpers and even the bad guy army was about 20 people tops.

Indiana Jones and the Cavern of the Zimmer frame, er Crystal Skull. I loved the other Indy films but that one was shite.

The ending of Revenge of the Sith. I am sorry but if you are fighting on a planet of lava which can melt metal you are toast, your lungs are toast even before you pull out that lightsabre. I don't care if you are a jedi. You are so much toast.

The second and third Tobey Maquire Spiderman films.

Oh and Twilight, haven't seen them can't bring myself to do so. VAMPIRES DO NOT SPARKLE.

kayd_mon

Sage
Spider-Man 3, Superman Returns, Fast and Furious (the last one, and also the only one I've seen), Tyler Perry's Why Did I Get Married Too, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2. That last one I really liked as a kid, but I watched it again a few years ago, and it's embarrassingly bad.

I don't rank the Star Wars prequels on a "worst ever" list, just "bigggest disappointments." I had this debate with a few friends recently. Episode 3 is good. Not great, but solid. Episode 2 is a steaming turd, made watchable if you only pay attention to Ewan MacGregor's scenes and the final battle sequence at the end. Also, Dooku vs. Yoda helps. Episode 1 isn't nearly as bad as its reputation, and it is easily better than Episode 2. It also contains the second best lightsaber battle in the whole series (to date).

The Hobbit was mentioned here, but I don't think that's fair. It wasn't quite as good as Lord of the Rings, and stretching it beyond one movie was a terribleidea and leads to ttremendous pacing issues, but it's still well-made and well-acted.

Die Another Day was a really weak film, way too over the top. The third X-Men film wasn't too bad, just a really predictable big fight, so it didn't really thrill me.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
A lot of these movies weren't great, but to be honest, if you have any movie that went out in mainstream distribution on your list, it means you haven't seen some of the really, really bad movies that exist. Get on Netflix and start watching some of the crap that never even made it to theatrical release. Then the real 'five worst movies' list would probably be filled with stuff no one else has ever even heard of :)

kayd_mon

Sage
@steerpike

You are absolutely right. I would say my list is "the five worst movies that I foolishly chose to see and were considered good enough to screen nationally." haha

I have seen some of straight-to-video (or nertflix) movies that were really bad, but that's almost expected.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
I've always wanted to see "Mega Shark Versus Crocosaurus" or any of the "Mega Shark Versus" franchise [Yes there is more than one of them]. It sounds so bad that it might be worth watching...

Nobby

Sage
You missed AvP Requiem!?!

Die thirty-year-old slasher pic teen victims die!

Like the thirty year old plot, and the (supposedly) top rank sfx team. Hey, lets's shoot everything in the dark! I't's scaaaary!

Personally I didn't care whether the Aliens or the Predator won, I just wanted the hollow-wood cast to die!

And don't get me started on Battleship...

Reaver

Staff
Thanks to everyone who posted! I value your opinions and input. Is it just me or have there been a lot of really crappy movies basically pooped out some production company and thrown into theaters? Like the movie Zookeeper starring the occasionally funny Kevin James...

It's like the people cranking out these movies don't give a damn about substance or good characters...only about trying to make as much money as possible.

Sorry for the rant folks! Keep the lists coming!!

I don't know what it is but I love My Cousin Vinny. My favorite part is the grits questioning scene.

Anywho, as far as 5 worst I would say Popeye (although I watch it because its terrible), Avatar the Last Airbender, Shrek 3, Attack of the Clones, Breaking Dawn Part II (haven't watched the others and I fell asleep while reading a book during this movie).